Male Wont Stop Spraying/peeing!! Tired Everything!!

How to give a cat away? (last resort)

• Make a post on Facebook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give him to a animal shelter

• Send him to a farm

• Total voters

Briecollison28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male 3-year-old cat will not stop peeing around my apartment, during the summer of 2017 is when we first noticed he was peeing on the carpet outside our bedroom we fixed the issue by steam cleaning the carpets. Then in November of 2017, he started doing it again this time it started on the area rug in the living room we managed to get him to stop again.

Now fast forward to now, he is peeing EVERYWHERE on our shoes, all over the area rug, on the couches, on our laundry hamper ETC... It's disgusting and embarrassing and I don't know what to do anymore I have tried everything! I have tried DIY stuff from the internet/Pinterest, store-bought cleaners, rented a carpet cleaner, and a Feliway diffuser. I am fed up and don't know what to do.

I am a full-time college student and also working full time, my boyfriend is away all the time for work which leads me to believe maybe he is just lonely and looking for attention if that's the case then what do I do? Cause clearly I cant give him the life he needs, I still have 2 years of school left.

I took him to the vet and he has a clean bill of health all through the vet did mention he could have been neutered to soon/ too late. It is costing me to much time/money. I don't know what else to do! The only things I can think of are giving him away to someone who can be home all the time or send him to a farm where he can be outside all the time.

Would love some feedback or if anyone has had a similar experience. He is a part of the family but I can't afford to keep cleaning up after him and to be home all the time.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet has given him a clean bill of health, recently, that is the first step. Some cats will do this if they do not like the litter you are using? too dusty, one that is scented, to rough on his feet, or the box is not clean enough? Cats also like a big box, and most prefer one without a cover, just an open box. With one cat you will normally want at least 2 boxes.

Another thing to think about is there another pet that comes to visit, or lives in an apartment next door, that he can see through a window, that may make him feel territorial?

When you are home do you play with him on a daily basis? maybe a feather wand or something like that he can chase? wear him out a bit, till his is panting a little, then feed him or give him a treat? Good luck, i hope you solve the problem soon.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
A couple of suggestions:

In addition to what duckpond duckpond suggests about litter and litter boxes (two large boxes, not covered, scoop at least once a day and ideally twice, unscented), try Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract litter. If it works keep using it for awhile to establish a pattern of good behavior. Then you can gradually mix in something less expensive over time. Dr. Elsey’s Ultra is an excellent litter and less than the Cat Attract. Actually, now that I think of it, you can buy a good unscented litter and try the Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract litter additive with it. If you live near a Petco, their generic store brand litter is pretty decent, less expensive and not as dusty as some.

The second suggestion involves the Feliway. It’s good to use the diffuser, but it also comes in a spray. You can lightly spray where he’s been peeing or marking and he should avoid that spot in the future. I have the diffusers because I recently brought home a new kitty from the shelter and my two older cats were upset. That helped everyone adjust. But I also had to use the spray because new kitty, Mocha, doesn’t understand about scratching posts and sharpens her claws on my area rugs. (It’s supposed to work for both peeing and scratching.) I lightly sprayed the rugs she was using for two weeks straight and it’s really helped. She’s gradually learning where to scratch. You just have to be careful not to spray it around them.

I hope everything works out for you and your kitty.