Male Tortoiseshell

Millsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my kitty has had kittens and 1 of them is a male tortoiseshell and I'm just wondering how would I tell if it's sterile when it's older
Take it to a vet ??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why do you want to know? Do you want to try some breeding??

In practice, you will want to neuter, either sterile or not. You dont want to risk a sprayer, whom is also nerwously wandering around and meowing loudly seeking after a female...

But yes, they arent common, and most of them are sterile or almost sterile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Millsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We may be interested in breeding but in saying that we're not sure atm this is new to us and we only found out through a friend that a male tortoiseshell is rare and it's even rarer for them to be fertile so just looking for information about it

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure he’s male? Telling the gender of a kitten can be tricky.

But, yes, male tortie are very rare (only 1/3000 torties/calicos/torbies are male). And, the reason for this is that a tortie needs both the O allele (coding for orange) and the o allele (coding for not orange). The O/o alleles sit on the X-chromosome. So, for a cat to have Oo, they would naturally need to have XX. Therefore, the only way for a male cat to be a tortie, would be for him to inherit an extra X-chromosome, making him XXY, similar to Kleinefelter syndrome in humans, causing sterility.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently among cat show people, a male tortie isn't unheard of, and some aren't sterile and have been used for breeding. But they only throw one color; their offspring aren't more likely to be male torties or anything else unusual. I don't recommend deliberately breeding non-purebreds. And whether he's sterile or not, he will still act like a tom if he isn't neutered.

Yes, please post pics! I wanna see him!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you want to breed this kitten? Just because it’s rare?

Do you need help finding a low cost spay/neuter center for mom?