Male cat neutered, but still has feelings..

ayaskold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been neutered for I don't know how long.. I had him for about 8 years, so he has been neutered for a long time now. Only a few months ago he started to show these sexual feelings. Like humping (sorry if thats a little too graphic for this forum, I didn't know any other appropriate word) his little Santa plushie and some of my plushies. He'll have this agressive meow or something. Is this normal for a neutered kitty to have these feelings still? Even if he never showed before? Thanks in advance to whoever replies.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Fred was about 5 years old before he was neutered, and he would still have "relations" with one of my girls before she was spayed. I am pretty sure if they reach sexual maturity before they are neutered, they still have feelings. There are many people on her more knowledgeable than I on this subject, I am sure you will get other replies.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to have a cat that would do that, but he was pretty consistent throughout his life.

This seems odd because it's a new behavior. I would suggest that you take him to the vet & get him checked out, just in case he has something going on with his hormones, or may have some other hidden health issue. If you've had him for 8 years now, he is approaching senior cathood, and it's probably a good idea to get him a thorough checkup at this point in life anyway. Don't be embarrassed to mention what he's doing, and that it's just recently started - vets have seen/heard it all, and it might be medically important. Sometimes little observations made by owners can be very helpful in diagnosis.

If he checks out OK at the vet, he or she should also be able to give you insight into why he might be doing this.

Has anything changed in your home recently? A new person or cat, a person or cat leaving, a stray coming around your window? Sometimes stress can cause unusual behaviors. A Feliway Comfort Zone plug-in or Feliway spray (available at most pet stores) can help calm a stressed cat.

I hope this helps.