Male cat instant voice change?

helloimrichelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little man Coco is just about six months old now and not neutered just yet.(saving up for it!) But yesterday I had noticed his voice had changed overnight. His voice before was normal cat meow, not a kitten mew. But the next morning, I noticed it had gotten a bit deeper and sad, with almost a purr to it if that makes sense. I just wanted to know what that could possibly be without having to spend all that money on a vet if it lent serious.
No hiding, no change in attitude or behavior, no change in eating, everything seems pretty normal.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Any sudden changes really need to be checked out by a vet. The few times I have experienced a voice change with a cat it has been due to health reasons.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My little man Coco is just about six months old now and not neutered just yet.(saving up for it!) But yesterday I had noticed his voice had changed overnight. His voice before was normal cat meow, not a kitten mew. But the next morning, I noticed it had gotten a bit deeper and sad, with almost a purr to it if that makes sense. I just wanted to know what that could possibly be without having to spend all that money on a vet if it lent serious.
No hiding, no change in attitude or behavior, no change in eating, everything seems pretty normal.
It COULD be his becoming a male, its even quite probable.  But the only way to play it safe is to let a vet check him up.  You can perhaps combine these two? Check up, and if everything is OK, let the vet proceed with neutering.

atelloni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Did you ever follow-up with a vet on this? I have a little girl siamese that is 9 months old and her voice changed within the day as well. It went from a high pitched yip to a lower actual meow. That also sounds sad like you mentioned. No change in play, eating or potty.

Thanks!