Making A Cat Out of Cardboard

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Letter of Recommendation in the NY Times - this father is writing about how his toddler doesn't have children to play with because of the virus. In his own childhood the father made things from cardboard. And the conclusion of this piece is perfect for us!

"In the end, I decide to make a cat for him, because while he knows the word for cat in both English and Spanish, he has seen one only from a distance. Now many more decisions must be made. What color will the cat be? An orange tabby will get lost on cardboard. Black or silver could work. Tortoiseshell, too, if I let the cardboard peek through, representing the few dull patches of orange in her coat. I lived with a tortie, once. She was just shy of 20 when she died a few years ago. Yes, a tortie it will be.

I will make her life-size. No — I will make a squad of life-size torties! One of them will lick her belly, another will be curled up and a third will sit in the classic profile. We’ll take them to the windowsill one at a time so our toddler can watch them, the picture of peace and contentment, soaking up the passing sun."

Of course, we here at TCS would wish he would get a real cat for the little boy! Right?

Kathrines_Cat^_^

Cat! :-D
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah a cat would be perfect for them!
I still like the idea of having cardboard cat figurines though.
I used to have a Tortoiseshell cat when I was little. Her name was Zoie and she loved to lick peoples hand! :kneading:
It was pretty funny.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It kind of depends on the toddler; I've met a few I wouldn't want anywhere near Jasmine! OTOH, it sounds like he's spending lots of time with his son right now, due to the pandemic, so this would be the ideal time to teach the boy proper manners around pets.

Margret