Major Issues Introducing Kittens

csederberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
I have a six month old female that I found living in a dump. I’m not sure if she was a feral (there is a feral colony at the dump) or if someone dumped her and she found her way out. Being feral/stray, she is very nervous. However, she is very playful/still young so I thought she would be better off having a friend to play with throughout the day (I have been home with her since I found her but I will be working full time soon).

Right before Christmas I met a woman at a rescue and she said she had the perfect little kitten for me. He is a friendly four month old male. I brought him home, kept them separated, but my female was immediately very upset. If my hands smelled of the boy kitten she would hiss and swat at me. A little more than 24 hours later we were at the emergency vet because she was vomiting bile consistently for over three hours. She ended up staying the night there with an IV. It has been four days since then, and she is still barely eating. She has had slight diarrhea since the vomiting as well.
I have a Feliway plug-in in the living room, and I put a pheromone collar on her so she’s been able to be around the kitten without much fuss, but she is still not herself. She won’t play, she stares at him whenever he is around, refuses to eat even half of what she used to, etc.

ANY advice on what to do would be helpful. I feel so bad that I brought another kitten into our home and she is so upset. I did it because I thought it would make her happier in the long run.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, although I'm sorry it took an upheaval to get you here! Now, you may well make your kitten happier in the long run, but we need to take a step back and go at this very slowly. Be prepared to keep them apart for a while, until the proper introductions are made.

Your little girl had a very rough start in life, fighting for every scrap of food, drinking water, scrabbling for a safe place to sleep...then she came to you, and EVERYTHING was HERS! CAT HEAVEN! Now, suddenly, there is this INVADER! Will there be enough food? OH NO, there was only ever enough for ME!!! I'll be HUNGRY again! And the water...is there going to be enough water? And my BED...OH MY SOFT BED! Can I fight him off of MY BED??? Yep. That would have me fighting mad and depressed, too! the answer there is that with time, she will know that there is plenty for both of them.

But here are the articles that will guide you through this to a good outcome! Just be very, very patient, and prepared for it to take...well...as long as it takes. Sometimes weeks, sometimes months, but it can be done, and successfully!

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

and just because,

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Please let me know how things are going with this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

csederberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! Yes I’m trying to be patient...it is just so hard seeing her so ill. She’s my little princess

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know...they just grab our hearstrings with those little claws and pull, don't they? But she will learn that there is more than enough...enough food, enough water, enough toys, enough warm sleeping spots, and enough LOVE for the both of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

csederberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Happy new year! So far, things are improving with my babies so I am very grateful for your advice. My little girl is excited for morning feedings now and she is eating so I am no longer concerned. She still isn’t playing like she used to, but I am hoping she just needs a little more time. Patience is key!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
EXCELLENT! Yes, just keep doing what you are doing, and give her time. And remember, even if there is a major setback (although I am NOT expecting one), you can just...start over! Cats are wonderful for allowing do-overs!