Lynx Tortie Point... but what color?

munchkinmayhem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my Munchkin females has baffled me for quite some time now. I know that she's a lynx tortie point... but I can't determine whether she's blue or lilac tortie. Her nose is pale, almost white pink. Her paw pads are varying shades of pink and blue. She's been bred once to a seal point and produced a cream point and a seal lynx point. Any input? I'm not certain if it can be determined without DNA testing?

bemba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm I was going to say maybe Lilac (dilute chocolate) but her points seem to rich in colour for that.... her body colour seems to fit but that is due to being pointed so lighter body from that particular gene. Maybe she is a straight chocolate lynx point?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

munchkinmayhem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's definitely a tortie point, she has cream patches - most noticeably on the bridge of her nose. Plus her paw pads are multicolored, and I also believe a chocolate lynx point would have dark leather on their nose. That's the thing that's throwing me off and making me think she may be lilac. I don't know what other colors cause the nose leather to be solid pink? Lynx points are my weak point, I'm not great at telling their color.

Last edited:

bemba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes sorry I meant to say chocolate tortie point or it should be torbie point as lynx is just a fancy name for tabby point. The fact she has bred a cream with a non ginger/cream male proves that she is tortie plus she is a dilute carrier at the least. I love genetics it's very interesting! Have you got pics of her babies?

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's a Seal Tortie Tabby Point. The darker spots are just too black to be a chocolate. A dilute is out of the question, she is too colored to be considered a diluted color (blue/fawn/lilac).

If you think the  colors on the above posted pictures are different from the real thing, please post us some more pictures ;) But if they resemble her well, then my answer should be correct.

Last edited:

munchkinmayhem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what I understand, if a cat is seal tabby pointed, their nose will always be very dark (almost black) on the upper part. That's why I can't see her being seal, because her nose is pink. Is this rule not the case if they're torbie pointed instead of just tabby pointed? Here are a few more photos of her, and some of her kittens. As you can see her daughter (seal tabby point) is much, much darker than her already.

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

From what I understand, if a cat is seal tabby pointed, their nose will always be very dark (almost black) on the upper part. That's why I can't see her being seal, because her nose is pink. Is this rule not the case if they're torbie pointed instead of just tabby pointed? Here are a few more photos of her, and some of her kittens. As you can see her daughter (seal tabby point) is much, much darker than her already.
Correct, seal points have a black nose. However, she is a tortie. She has the red coloring on her nose. The red also falls over her nose, making it pink instead of black. If you look closely, the bottom part of her nose is black as the entire nose should be if the red wasnt in the "way" ;)

The pictures tell me the same as the others, specially when looking at the picture of her with her daughter. She must be a seal tortie tabby point. 

Beautiful kittens too! <3

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is another example of a seal tortie tabby point, with most of the nose being pink caused by red on the face (can't be seen clearly here yet):

Last edited:

munchkinmayhem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are totally right about her nose having that dark spot underneath - I never thought about the rest being pink because of where her red falls! Hah, mystery solved! Thank-you everyone for your input. I'll master these tabby points someday lol. And I appreciate the compliments on the kittens, we kept her daughter for our breeding program, she has the most gorgeous plush coat. :)

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You are totally right about her nose having that dark spot underneath - I never thought about the rest being pink because of where her red falls! Hah, mystery solved! Thank-you everyone for your input. I'll master these tabby points someday lol. And I appreciate the compliments on the kittens, we kept her daughter for our breeding program, she has the most gorgeous plush coat. :)
Ohhh, are you a munchkin breeder? I already thought mom had rather small legs (I was even going to say she reminded me of a munchkin), this explains it haha.

munchkinmayhem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha yes. I breed Munchkins and Scottish Kilts. Sophie here is a rughugger, very Itty bitty legs! ;) Good call!

Last edited: