Luxating Patellar Diagnosis (a Long Post)

knittykitty5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I stumbled on this site while doing some research on patellar luxation. My kitty, Emma, was diagnosed with this yesterday. She started limping this weekend and barely moved on Saturday and Sunday. At the vet on Monday momimg, our vet said that Emma had an advanced care of luxating patella. Emma’s knee caps will not stay in place and there’s probably a little pain. It sounds like surgery is the only option and I simply can’t afford iit. Emma is 11 years old She’s comfortable in the second bedroom which is now hers. Pillows, litter box, food, water are all within easy reach. I guess this is our life from now on.

Today’s Update: Somehow Emma has figured out how to get around. This morning she was waiting for me in the kitchen for breakfast, she was laying on the bath mat while I was in the shower, she used her old litter nbox which is a few inches from the floor, and greeted me at the front door when I got home tonight. Unbelievable. She’s still limping, and laying down after walking a bit, but I am thrilled that she’s figured how to get around despite her new challenge.
I would love to hear others’ stories about this condition? Has anyone had the surgery?

Thanks in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You knew this, but you have an AMAZING cat!!
I personally have no experience with this, but there are members who have and hopefully they'll be here to reply for you soon :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
knittykitty5 knittykitty5 - so sorry to hear about your Emma! If the vet said she had an advanced case of luxating patellas, and if you let the vet know that surgery wasn't financially feasible for you -- what did the vet suggest for Emma's care, and for the possibility of increased pain as time passes? Kneecaps that always stay luxated is basically Grade IV and is, pretty much, lameness. The more the cat tries to use the back legs and move around, the more inflammation, joint & tissue damage and possibly injuries, can result (and, inflammation and joint damage causes more pain, unfortunately). Is Emma a healthy weight for her age? That could help things a lot, if she is not overweight, but I'm really interested to know what your vet suggested for Emma's care. :hearthrob:
:hugs: :grouphug2: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

knittykitty5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
knittykitty5 knittykitty5 - so sorry to hear about your Emma! If the vet said she had an advanced case of luxating patellas, and if you let the vet know that surgery wasn't financially feasible for you -- what did the vet suggest for Emma's care, and for the possibility of increased pain as time passes? Kneecaps that always stay luxated is basically Grade IV and is, pretty much, lameness. The more the cat tries to use the back legs and move around, the more inflammation, joint & tissue damage and possibly injuries, can result (and, inflammation and joint damage causes more pain, unfortunately). Is Emma a healthy weight for her age? That could help things a lot, if she is not overweight, but I'm really interested to know what your vet suggested for Emma's care. :hearthrob:
I’ve been thinking about this, too. The vet recommended pain medication (Meloxidyl—the same meds I take for arthritis in my knees) for the next two weeks and then “as needed.” I’m not sure how to tell when she needs it. She didn’t say much more about ongoing treatment. I got the feeling that surgery was the only option. She said that Emma is chubby, so I’m reducing her food and said that losing weight will make a big difference. Other than that, I’m feeling stuck. I hate to think that this is the way she’s going to be forever.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes many orthopedic veterinary surgical hospitals have vets, or staff connected to them, that also do animal rehabilitative consultation and care. Do you think you have any ortho vets near you with such services? If so, and even though it will likely carry its own cost (but possibly be much less than surgery, of course), maybe even just setting up an initial consultation with animal rehab staff could give you some possible ways to help Emma out -- at least initially? They could at least educate you a bit more on what is going on with Grade IV patellar luxations, if there are certain ways to help her move better or decrease possible injuries or muscle tears, and even help with ideas for the inflammation and pain from arthritis that develops from such things.
:heartshape:

knittykitty5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like physical therapy for cats! When I googled orthopedic vets in my area, my vet turned up in the search results. I’ll do more research.

I have to thank everyone here for the great suggestions and advice about Emma’s health. You’ve been fantastic.

knittykitty5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I just want to update everyone on Emma's condition. She seems to be getting used to her new normal. Her spirits and energy are up which is a relief. She's still figuring out how she can jump on the sofa and loveseat she used to spend most of her time on. She's mastered the sofa, the loveseat not so much. I think she gets a bit discouraged when she tries. It breaks my heart to see her unable to do the things she did only last week. I've reduced her food slightly which seems to be fine with her and she's not resisting the pain meds as much.

I have a good friend who shows dogs and knows a lot about cats, too. I told her what was happening with Emma and she said that lots of dogs and cats get along just fine with the condition. She also said that if she was in my situation and had unlimited funds, she'd do what I'm doing because surgery can be a difficult and stressful with a long recovery. That made me feel a bit better.

On a slightly bizarre note, my right knee has been very painful over the past few days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You can help her along with jumping on stuff, as Furballsmom Furballsmom said with pet steps. Or, you can use things like footstools as a halfway point between the floor and loveseat. You can also buy (relatively cheap) sturdy boxes meant for storing stuff and create your own steps. I found some like that for Feeby that worked - and she weighs nearly 18 pounds! If you have some spare wood around and have some 'handy-person' abilities, you could even make your own to just the right heights.

knittykitty5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You can help her along with jumping on stuff, as Furballsmom Furballsmom said with pet steps. Or, you can use things like footstools as a halfway point between the floor and loveseat. You can also buy (relatively cheap) sturdy boxes meant for storing stuff and create your own steps. I found some like that for Feeby that worked - and she weighs nearly 18 pounds! If you have some spare wood around and have some 'handy-person' abilities, you could even make your own to just the right heights.
I've placed a couple of boxes at the edge of the love seat and the bed as well, but she walks (limps) around them. I hope she figures out what they're there for soon!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I patted on them for Feeby and even lifted her up on the steps, just so she could see what they were for. It worked after a while. But, in your case if you try that just stay with her in case she doesn't like the idea and wants down right away.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I just want to update everyone on Emma's condition. ... She's still figuring out how she can jump on the sofa and loveseat she used to spend most of her time on. She's mastered the sofa, the loveseat not so much. I think she gets a bit discouraged when she tries. It breaks my heart to see her unable to do the things she did only last week. I've reduced her food slightly which seems to be fine with her and she's not resisting the pain meds as much.
I've placed a couple of boxes at the edge of the love seat and the bed as well, but she walks (limps) around them. I hope she figures out what they're there for soon!
knittykitty5 knittykitty5 -

my opinion/ experience:
If you are unable to do the surgeries (I assume that both knees are Grade IV luxations?), then I'd highly recommend you not encourage her to jump up or jump down from anything. Having Grade IV luxating kneecaps is a bit beyond the idea of having just simple arthritis. If you are home a lot (and if it were my cat), and if she is wanting to be up on a couch or a loveseat, I would just pick her up and set her up on the couch. Or pick I'd her up, and set her back down on the floor when she's ready for the floor. If she needs to traverse any stairs, I'd pick her up and carry her to her destination. Basically, I'm saying that I would supervise her movements so that they do not cause her more degradation in her already-bad knees. She will only gain more pain and more inflammation the more she tries to maneuver any jumping up/ jumping down, fast walking, or any running. She will definitely limit her movements when she is feeling a lot of pain -- so if she is doing so while on pain meds, her situation is worsening. Straight, low impact walking (if she is able!) is the most I'd allow my cat to do if she was Grade IV luxations. I come at this from having had experience with Grades I-III luxations in my own cat's knees, then having gone through her knee surgeries and recovery/ rehab with her, and with what the ortho surgeon and rehab techs and nurses told me.
:vibes: :vibes: :alright: :grouphug2:

knittykitty5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
knittykitty5 knittykitty5 -

my opinion/ experience:
If you are unable to do the surgeries (I assume that both knees are Grade IV luxations?), then I'd highly recommend you not encourage her to jump up or jump down from anything. Having Grade IV luxating kneecaps is a bit beyond the idea of having just simple arthritis. If you are home a lot (and if it were my cat), and if she is wanting to be up on a couch or a loveseat, I would just pick her up and set her up on the couch. Or pick I'd her up, and set her back down on the floor when she's ready for the floor. If she needs to traverse any stairs, I'd pick her up and carry her to her destination. Basically, I'm saying that I would supervise her movements so that they do not cause her more degradation in her already-bad knees. She will only gain more pain and more inflammation the more she tries to maneuver any jumping up/ jumping down, fast walking, or any running. She will definitely limit her movements when she is feeling a lot of pain -- so if she is doing so while on pain meds, her situation is worsening. Straight, low impact walking (if she is able!) is the most I'd allow my cat to do if she was Grade IV luxations. I come at this from having had experience with Grades I-III luxations in my own cat's knees, then having gone through her knee surgeries and recovery/ rehab with her, and with what the ortho surgeon and rehab techs and nurses told me.
:vibes: :vibes: :alright: :grouphug2:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write. What you say makes complete sense—the last thing I want to do to is cause more pain. Fortunately, there are no stairs for Emma to climb. I’ve been carrying her to bed with me each night because she feels it is too high to jump. In the morning, she’s been getting down by herself, but I’ll place her back down on the floor from now on. I’ve made a cozy place for her in the second bedroom. She spends some time there each day, napping on a furry blanket next to a window so she can get some sun and watch the world. I work full-time and can’t be with her all day, but pay close attention to her when I’m home. Her food and water dishes are in the kitchen and I’d like to keep them there for the time being. She seems happy enough to wander around from time to time, so I have to trust that she knows what her body can handle.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding pet steps. I know you are trying to get your girl to lose weight, but I have found placing treats on the steps really gets them used to using the steps. Just 1 treat on the bottom step until she gets comfortable with that then start putting a treat on the second step and so on.
All 8 of my cats use the steps to get on our bed and to the window seat.