Lotus - Ugh :(

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone here feed their cats any of the Lotus foods?

I was under the impression it was high quality. Sure costs enough. And yet, in the past months I'm feeding it, I've noticed a decline in quality and even an actual canning issue.

Feeding Casper is difficult and finding foods he's able to tolerate due to kidney disease and poultry allergies has been challenging. He loves their Pork Stew, so does Cocoabean and I made that part of the rotation to the point that it's their main protein. However, I'm finding that cans either are too liquidy with not enough meat or opposite, with gigantic chunks which no cat I know of could easily shred apart - march larger than their mouth and, for those missing teeth (as both of mine are) incredibly difficult to eat. I've taken to having to slice it up by hand, which is ridiculous for what it costs; their manufacturing plant should be doing this not me.

Also I tried the Venison Stew. OMG neither of them would even walk near the bowl. There are strange looking pieces of what appears to be tendons in it. Gross. Like small rubber bands. What an evil texture for a cat to eat.

I also tried the pate styles thinking they might be better equipped for that texture. Nope, they HATE it. I've wasted SO much money on food in the past few months. Luckily Chewy has a fantastic customer support system and they took the cost off my bill.

Now here's the kicker. My husband opened a can of the Venison Stew yesterday (he didn't realize I wasn't giving it to them) and the can literally "exploded" as he opened it. Seems like there was a canning issue.

Of course I contacted Lotus but thus far am very dissatisfied with the response. First was about the mixed quality of the Pork Stew. Wrote and sent a photo of one of the larger chunks I came upon and I had someone tell me "they will discuss it in their next meeting" but never heard back about it. Then wrote again about the exploding can, giving them photos of the UPC, plant ID etc. Still haven't heard back.

Anyway, has anyone read anything about this company recently? I do keep track of recalls but have not run across anything about Lotus. Thanks

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont feed Lotus, due to the Agar-Agar, and olive oil. However i did read something lately that if a can "explodes" is is most likely due to a bacterial contamination? Some article i was reading that was talking about dented cans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont feed Lotus, due to the Agar-Agar, and olive oil. However i did read something lately that if a can "explodes" is is most likely due to a bacterial contamination? Some article i was reading that was talking about dented cans.
Olive oil I'm not worried about although I do try to avoid any of the "gums" to thicken the texture of the food.
And yes, I believe the can wasn't manufactured properly and air got into it because of poor practices. The can was not dented though, and denting doesn't necessarily mean its bad - it's when the can looks "fat" (for lack of a better description). My husband doesn't pay much attention; so I don't know the exact condition of it before he opened it.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive oil I'm not worried about although I do try to avoid any of the "gums" to thicken the texture of the food.
And yes, I believe the can wasn't manufactured properly and air got into it because of poor practices. The can was not dented though, and denting doesn't necessarily mean its bad - it's when the can looks "fat" (for lack of a better description). My husband doesn't pay much attention; so I don't know the exact condition of it before he opened it.
Right, dented does not necessarily mean bad, that was just what the article was about. and exploding cans was one of the ways to tell if the seal had maybe been compromised and allowed bacteria to grow. that, swelled or fat cans, or cans that you could press on the top and bottom and there is much give. And my husband is the same :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi I tried Lotus long time ago and had no luck, the Big Guy wouldn't touch it.
You might look into Applaws - it's not a "complete" food (no taurine et al) but it has a similar look , at least the chicken does, to Lotus...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi I tried Lotus long time ago and had no luck, the Big Guy wouldn't touch it.
You might look into Applaws - it's not a "complete" food (no taurine et al) but it has a similar look , at least the chicken does, to Lotus...
Applaws is great but can't do chicken. Older one is allergic to all poultry. He throws up from it within minutes. Took us a while to figure that out but once we pulled him off it, he never had problems barfing again. I have to read the fine print in every food now because they hide it in nearly everything.