Lola...what is she?

lolababy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I adopted Lola about 5 years ago from a local s.p.c.a, she was suppose to be around 6 months old when i got her but she was so large already that i was guessing around a year old. Since then, Lola has grown into a humongous cat! She's very long- bodied, and I'm guessing weighs between 13 & 15 lbs, but i can't be sure. Just wondering what some opinions were on what breeds she may be mixed with. She's a beauty! But definitely is a territorial cat! She doesn't like to share her domain so she is an only cat. Thank you for your opinions!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, what a handsome beautie!

Point, also with the M, so there is surely some tabby markings... Big, longhaired, but white feet too.

What she is, is most probably a thrue domestic, whose both parents were carriers of the point gene whom met in her.  Both were also long fur carriers.    Only about 3% of cats are what may be called for purebred.  Breed cats are not the everyday sight, unlike from dogs.

But what she is look alike is interesting to speculate for the fun of it.   :)

Birma perhaps, they do have usually white feet.

Ragdolls usually dont have white feets, just the "mitted" variation.

Lets others fill in!

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolababy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! For both of your answers! She is beautiful! I've never heard of a Burma. I'll have to look it up. And as far as the Maine coon goes, my last cat Rags (r.i.p.), best cat ever, was a maine coon and i think that's half the reason i fell in love with Lola when i first seen her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I've never heard of a Burma.
Birma, or rather, Birman in english.  Often known as Holy Birman.

Burma, or Burmese, is an entirely else breed.

Both are of course said to have roots in the same country. although Burma is thereforth for real, and old breed, while Birman is more or less constructed by westerness breeders.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think she looks more like a ragdoll than a Birman because of her larger body type. Does she have blue eyes? On my phone it looks like she is a lynx point. I have a lynx point Birman kitten and have some pictures of her on my pervious threads.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I agree Franksmom,  she looks like a lynx point mitted.   Probably seal lynx mitted.  but  I am not sure about the lighting/ color in the photos.  Seal would be if her darkest markings are black.   Blue lynx point would be if the darkest markings are dark grey. 

I think probably she is mostly  domestic.   but maybe something like a Ragdoll mix.   Ragdoll is one of the most popular breeds  and one of the largest sized,  and long bodied.  

If she is pointed,  that would mean almost certainly some Siamese ancestry but it could be 50 generations ago for all we know.     which would mean an infinitely small percentage.    

and could be either passed down from Siamese to many generations of random-bred cats -- "Domestic Shorthairs and Domestic Longhairs"  - the shorthairs would be carrying the gene for longhair.  

... or somewhere on the way between Siam and this cat,  there could be one of the breeds who got the pointed pattern from the Siamese  like the Birman , Himalayan Persian or Ragdoll ( in the case of the Ragdoll ,  they actually were started from some of those Domestic Longhairs, back in the 1960s, but of course they have been bred as a breed and pedigrees kept for many years now.) 

Birman is spelled that way because it  is the French word for Burmese -- but it's not the same breed as the breed called the Burmese.  In France,  where the Birman breed started it is called  the Sacrée de Birmanie ( translated as Sacred Cat of Burma) .   I have major doubts that these longhair cats were ever an ancient natural breed from tropical Burma.     IMO the story seems pretty clearly  made up by Westerners who had no clue about the history and religion of the area.  it seems far more likely the breed was started in the early 20th century by French breeders who had just come up with the (contradictory and uncorroborated) stories as a promotion strategy.   

In any case the Birman breed after WW2 was down to one breeding pair and was re-established by crosses of Siamese with longhairs.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolababy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She does have blue eyes, if i can find better lighting, I'll upload a better picture of her today.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Yes,  being a pointed cat she would have blue eyes -- that always goes with the pointed pattern.        She sure is a pretty girl.