Litterbox wars?

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me make sense of my cat's behavior. I have Jasper, a 15 month old neutered male, and Tia, a 14 week old female kitten who has not been spayed yet. I have had Tia for 16 days now and am in the introduction phase still. Jasper makes a bee-line to her litterbox every morning and proceeds to first sniff and then use her box, if she uses the box he is right back in there to go again, and the whole time he is talking up a storm to me
but I have no idea what he is trying to tell me. He has his own much larger box which he also uses but without "talking" in another room. Now Tia is starting to use his box and if she does he hurries to go and use it right after, Both litterboxes are cleaned several times daily, usually right after I see them being used. Can anyone tell me what is going on?
The intro is going pretty well, he still shows some agression from time to time and they have about four supervised play sessions a day. Thanks

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jasper is Alpha and he is letting Tia know this by overcoming her scent with his. This is typical cat behavior and nothing to worry about. Have two litter boxes for each cat and you shouldn't have much of a problem after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks MA, I figured it was something like that but wasn't sure. :-)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Cable does this too, especially with Java. mine all use the same boxes, but their fave is in my bedroom closet. if Cable sees Java go in, she'll wait (rather impatiently) for her to finish, then jump right in, help bury, then make her own deposit. Cats are so funny!