"Licky-Bitey" grooming (?)

retrored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My question for today isn't really a problem as such, but more in the interest of curiosity. I have two cats that get on well- they play, sleep with eachother and also groom eachother. However, after short bursts of grooming the other's head or neck, the cats will often begin nipping and bunny kicking eachother. It is strange to see them go from supposedly tender to rough behaviour in a matter of seconds.
I think I saw someone describe it before on here as "licky-bitey"- which I found amusing.
Has anyone else in multi cat households experience this behaviour? (I am still reasonably new to owning two cats at once) Also, do you know a reason why they might do this? There is rarely noise or pain- one will usually leave when they've had enough grooming/nipping/wrestling.

Thanks,

Erin

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds absolutely normal to me. In this house, mutual grooming has ALWAYS been a warm up for a wrestling match :D

I don't know what the reason behind it is. The best I can come up with is that both are fairly 'kittenish' behaviours, and kittens would use play wrestling as a way to hone their developing hunting skills.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 8 month old does the same thing, but the 2 yr old does not appreciate!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's pretty normal, my cats do same thing. Mia is only 10 days here and when she wash Macha she would bite her and Macha would push her away she knows Mia still a kitten. It's too cute and funny same time :-)

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our house has six cats, and they all do it. Before Momma cat had her kittens (they're all fixed now) she would do the same thing to her scratching post. I have no idea why, but I always thought it was just a play thing that cats do.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really is "just play."  You have to remember that, for their weight and size classification, cats are apex predators, and all of their play is aimed at honing their hunt/kill skills.  That's the nature of the beast.  The tussling and kicking are practice for holding and disemboweling prey.