Licks but won't eat

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 16 week old kitten, Leeto, doesn't eat much. She prefers kibble, but I try to only give her canned and raw to discourage a kibble addiction. She is very picky with her canned (tried several brands and flavors). Usually she gives a few licks and then is done.

A couple of weeks ago I have her a piece of raw chicken and she ate it happily. But any time I try to give her raw now, she just licks it, but won't chew or actually eat it.

I've never had a picky cat before. I know she should be eating more, but I can't figure out how to get her actually eat!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried crushing up a couple of pieces of her kibble and sprinkling it on top of some canned of rolling some pieces of raw food in the crushed kibble?  That's how I got mine started on raw....I literally coated each little raw meatball (I used commercially ground meals like Primal or Bravo) with powdered treats.

Have you seen this thread? 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transit...-to-a-new-type-of-food-canned-raw-or-homemade

Have you only tried kitten canned food?  I know there aren't too many varieties of those.  Maybe you need to branch out from those if you haven't already (just make sure you use "all stages" )  Some cats like pates, some like chunks, some like shreds, etc.  Also, on the raw, some like chicken, some prefer turkey, or pork, or rabbit, etc.  One day mine would LOVE lamb, the next day hate it,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol. I just read that thread earlier!

I have crushed some kibble to tempt her into eating better food, but it hasn't persuaded her much.

She did so well with the piece of chicken that chunks are probably a good way to go. (Which, I am hoping to get her eating frankenprey eventually, so chuncks would be a good start.) She doesn't seem to like pates at all. (So much wasted. :/)

I gave her a bit of turkey neck today, which she licked tons and carried around, but didn't actually eat.

I'll keep trying.

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got L3370 to eat some canned shredded with gravy today! And then she ate two chunks of beef!

Hopefully I'll be able to whet her appetite more with the gravy foods and move her to frankenprey from that (since she hates pates.)

She ate more in this one meal than she has at any other single time since being with us, so I'm happy!

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhh... Leeto just ate a few more beef chunks and a chicken heart. With gusto! I think she may have found her appetite! Although she isn't really interested in the turkey neck.

(I bringing home her sister in an hour, I hope that doesn't mess things up again.)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Apparently she knows what she likes, and turkey isn't it
.  I've got one who HATES turkey, but used to love beef and chicken hearts too.  And duck hearts!  Those were her favorites until she hate one too many

So glad she is coming around

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apparently something clicked for Leeto the other day. Her appetite has increased greatly!

I cut up a whole chicken last night (I really need to learn how to do that better!). Leeto happily ate half the liver, the kidneys, and some rib meat with bone.

She also ate a bit of turkey neck the other day. Maybe she likes it afterall? lol. Silly kitty.

She is also eating more canned food while I work on transitioning to complete raw. Phew! I so relieved that she is eating more!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: that's great! Sounds like she just needs some time to get used to it.