leaving pets while on vacation

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be leaving our 2 cats and dog at home for 2 1/2 weeks while we are on vacation and will be paying a neighbor who likes animals to feed/clean litter etc.

The concern is my rescue dog -- she won't let anyone touch her if I'm not around. While she plays with the cats, she is very attached to me. I am out of the house 10 hours a day at work but she follows me around when I am home. I am worried that she'll be miserable when I'm gone (can I admit, I don't want to leave??). How should I prepare her for this -- should I gradually give her less attention so she's not shocked when I disappear?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My suggestion would be to have your neighbour come over and try and bond with the dog before you leave. That's what I've always done.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would personally board the dog, I'd have no problem leaving the cats with someone coming over once a day to check on them, but no way would I leave my dogs like for 2 1/2 weeks, a day or two maybe, but not for that length of time... if someone were staying at your house, that'd be a little different too, but my dogs would get too lonely and most likely destructive even though they've never done any damage any other time

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely second this....Its not fair to leave a dog for that length of time with only a check-in.
My first choice is to have someone stay at your place..A student or young neighbour/family friend/cousin...anyone really that you trust.

Or there are pet sitting services that will stay at your house but it obviously costs more.

Then if that wasn't possible, I would board her at a canine spa or doggy daycare where they exercise them regularly, groom them, etc..

I wouldn't leave a dog alone overnights and most of the day for 2 and a half weeks.