Knocking Over Garbage Can

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been here. I have a question that I'm sure other's have experience with. What do you do to keep your cats from knocking over the garbage can and eating out of it? I have tried to find a more durable can with a locking lid, but have had no luck. I was thinking about putting a 5 pound weight on the bottom. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy, this is a toughie. I went through four garbage cans until I finally got something that worked, and that needed heavy modification. I ended up with a garbage can with a pop-open lid. I screwed on a wide base and put a brick in the bottom so it was not tippable. I attached bunge cords to the top so the can't knock the top off. And I fitted a clip to lock the top so they couldn't pop the latch. (Believe me, a clever cat can figure out how to do that)

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like your setup!

we have the bin within a cupboard under the sink to maximise space (tiny apt) - but kitty gets the door open sometimes and goes bin-diving. Until we get a bigger place or make some sort of kitty proof latch the best deterrent has been just to take the waste directly outside to the dumper whenever it is anything dangerous or appealing.

One time we forgot and heard this crunching coming from the bin - kitty was in there eating shrimp heads. Shrimp heads = rancid diahorrea.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The garbage actually stays under the kitchen sink and our two monsters are a bit young yet to have the strength to open the cabinet doors. When they get to that point (if it becomes a problem, actually in a lifetime of cats, I've never had any that went dumpster diving!) a kid-proof latch on the door should solve the problem.

Cindy

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is also under the cupboard so I'm ok. However I compost except meat scraps.
So those I will like double or triple bag (Because of the smell and toss in the garbage can in the garage (to deter when the cats are outside).

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now there is that come to think of it. Maybe that's why I've never had any that particularly want to get in the garbage ... there's nothing in there that they would particularly want. We take meat scraps, bones, tuna cans and such like and throw them in the freezer until the next garbage day. That way we don't have any particularly stinky garbage, and it's less attractive to the fur-kids.

Cindy