Kittens love raw but having troubles!

cdbaird11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 3 and 6 mo. old Maine Coons that have taken to raw and have been loving it! Started with NV venison, added cornish game hens chopped and with bones...chicken hearts, gizzards, livers, legs, wings, makeral once a week and was wanting to try a pinkie/fuzzy mouse this weekend.

Today, however, Lucy Lou the 6 mo, old vomited after breakfast and lunch from a new introduction to NV lamb. I'm hoping it's the lamb...has anyone else had troubles with lamb? Or should I be concerned of something else?

Also if you have any experience/advice with feeding pinkies/fuzzies I would love to hear how that goes!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say it's probably the lamb, you can always try it again later on, just leave it out now, my cat eats mice, but she kind of picked it up on her own because I breed them and some escaped. I haven't had any luck getting her to eat another whole prey yet. I'd imagine pinkies you could sort of hide in a another meat or in canned.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats throw up for all kinds of reasons, including eating too fast, eating food that's too cold, eating too much at one sitting, and having an acidic tummy that couldn't handle the meal because the cat went too long without eating (adult cats fed only twice a day or kittens fed less than four times a day have a stronger chance of those last two issues).

Of course, it could be the cat has an intolerance to lamb or something was off about the quality of that particular product, but I'd lean more toward one of the above reasons.

Only trial and error can help you identify precisely why she threw up like she did.

As for mice, I don't feed them any more and I never did offer pinkies... I would think, however, they'd be pretty easy to get a cat interested in. Whole prey is the Ferrari of feline diets, so it's worth a shot.

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cdbaird11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your advice. I keep going back and forth in my thinking with the raw. I know it's the best but I'm in the learning curve.

Today I took Brutus (3 mo.) to the vet for his first checkup. We have had Brutus for 2 wks now and he has taken to the raw and eats everything given. The vet cautioned against e-coli and salmanella in a raw diet as he recently had a young adult cat that nearly died. He felt only purchasing organic and prime fed cuts of meat is the best way to prevent problems.

Thank you Auntie Crazy. I have printed off a copy of your weekly menu and the previous...very helpful.
I noticed on your last menu you didn't mention feeder mice and wondered. I do plan to give it try on our fur babies real soon.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cdbaird11

Today I took Brutus (3 mo.) to the vet for his first checkup. We have had Brutus for 2 wks now and he has taken to the raw and eats everything given. The vet cautioned against e-coli and salmanella in a raw diet as he recently had a young adult cat that nearly died. He felt only purchasing organic and prime fed cuts of meat is the best way to prevent problems.

If you don't mind, can you get more details on the young adult cat - what happened, what he was being fed, what they identified as the problem and how they identified it?

Also, why does the vet think purchasing organic and "prime fed cuts" of meat will reduce "problems"?

Thanks!! I'm always eager for more information!

AC

And I'm glad you're getting something from my posts.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd be interested to know if they actually tested for ecoli or salmonella and what the general health and immune state of the cat was that nearly died.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cdbaird11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have another appointment this Friday and will try to get more info on this cat as I am interested in the details also. I'll keep you posted.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cdbaird11

I have another appointment this Friday and will try to get more info on this cat as I am interested in the details also. I'll keep you posted.
Excellent! I look forward to your update.

AC

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just started my cats on Stella and Chewey's freeze-dried raw. They just love it. I decided today to give it as the afternoon meal. I also purchased the raw NV beef patties. Wendall and Walden just love the stuff. Don't know if I will switch totally to raw, but am definitely starting to play around with it.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I just started my cats on Stella and Chewey's freeze-dried raw. They just love it. I decided today to give it as the afternoon meal. I also purchased the raw NV beef patties. Wendall and Walden just love the stuff. Don't know if I will switch totally to raw, but am definitely starting to play around with it.
Are you new to raw feeding, then, Feralvr? If so, congratulations!!
It's a whole different world of health for your kitties.

AC

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Are you new to raw feeding, then, Feralvr? If so, congratulations!!
It's a whole different world of health for your kitties.

AC
I can't totally go raw and I do get a bit worried handling the meat. I wear disposable gloves. I actually started trying raw for my dog, Wilbur, who is senior and has serious health issues and stopped eating. I was desperate to try anything to get him to eat and I found that on the days he won't eat anything else I offer him, the raw seems to spike his appetite. So I feed him that on those off days. In the meantime, my cats went crazy when I would feed Wilbur the raw products, so I started offering them some at the same time. Wendall (who eats anything) just loves the raw food, I was so surprised. Pipsqueak won't have anything to do with it
. For now, all cats are getting one raw meal a day. They all just LOVE the Stella/Chewey's freeze-dried raw products. It is expensive though. Will see how it goes

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I can't totally go raw and I do get a bit worried handling the meat. I wear disposable gloves. I actually started trying raw for my dog, Wilbur, who is senior and has serious health issues and stopped eating. I was desperate to try anything to get him to eat and I found that on the days he won't eat anything else I offer him, the raw seems to spike his appetite. So I feed him that on those off days. In the meantime, my cats went crazy when I would feed Wilbur the raw products, so I started offering them some at the same time. Wendall (who eats anything) just loves the raw food, I was so surprised. Pipsqueak won't have anything to do with it
. For now, all cats are getting one raw meal a day. They all just LOVE the Stella/Chewey's freeze-dried raw products. It is expensive though. Will see how it goes
Awesome. Keep setting aside a bite for Pip... cats change their minds all the time and he may surprise you one day.

AC

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Awesome. Keep setting aside a bite for Pip... cats change their minds all the time and he may surprise you one day.

AC
And he is the one who might benefit the most on this type of diet, severe Folliculitis problem. The chin acne on three of my six cats is finally being diagnosed as food allergies. Believed to have started after they were all on the Hill's C/D in July. Triggered an allergen response in their systems.
. Will PM you if I have any questions!!! Thanks
Don't want to hijack the thread