Kitten Wet Food?

Samantha Latek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
So I have a small approximately 8 week old kitten and was wondering what is the best type of wet food to give such a young kitten? I have heard things like I should only give it kitten focused food, but most of the stuff targeted for kittens are ao processed with a super long ingredients list. I have also heard that its okay to give them regular cat food, but is that really okay? If I don't get wet food just for kittens am I hurting my kittens health? Any recommendations?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any type of kitten food will do, both dry and canned. It's good for kittens to be exposed to both types of food to avoid issues later in life if one type of food has to be fed for health reasons. Cats who have only eaten dry food their entire life are often difficult to transition to canned food if their health is dependent on it, such as urinary issues or diabetes.

Kitten specific foods have more nutrients in them to promote kitten growth. You can feed regular "adult" food since many are formulated for all life stages. You would just need to feed more of the "adult" food t a growing kitten. Some people like to feed mainly kitten food and add in a little adult" food, usually canned food since kitten canned foods tend to be very limited in flavors / varieties.

Look for a good quality kitten food if you are concerned about ingredients. Grain-free is a typically recommendation. Dry foods are super processed no matter what brand you buy. Avoid the really inexpensive mass marketed dry food bands since those are typically filled with horrible junky ingredients like corn and by-products.

Here are some suggestions on brands to feed to a kitten. Some may be avaiable in both dry and canned:

Best Food For Growing Kitten?
Wet food and dry food for 4 months kitten
Kitten Food: How Important Is Quality And Wet Vs Dry?
Wet Kitten Food Confusion

Is the kitten eating solid food with no problem? You may want to supplement with kitten milk replacer for a few weeks for the extra nutrients and calories.

akaLuann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any type of kitten food will do, both dry and canned. It's good for kittens to be exposed to both types of food to avoid issues later in life if one type of food has to be fed for health reasons. Cats who have only eaten dry food their entire life are often difficult to transition to canned food if their health is dependent on it, such as urinary issues or diabetes.

Kitten specific foods have more nutrients in them to promote kitten growth. You can feed regular "adult" food since many are formulated for all life stages. You would just need to feed more of the "adult" food t a growing kitten. Some people like to feed mainly kitten food and add in a little adult" food, usually canned food since kitten canned foods tend to be very limited in flavors / varieties.

Look for a good quality kitten food if you are concerned about ingredients. Grain-free is a typically recommendation. Dry foods are super processed no matter what brand you buy. Avoid the really inexpensive mass marketed dry food bands since those are typically filled with horrible junky ingredients like corn and by-products.

Here are some suggestions on brands to feed to a kitten. Some may be avaiable in both dry and canned:

Best Food For Growing Kitten? It says here are some suggestions on brands but I don't see them. Thanks.
Wet food and dry food for 4 months kitten
Kitten Food: How Important Is Quality And Wet Vs Dry?
Wet Kitten Food Confusion

Is the kitten eating solid food with no problem? You may want to supplement with kitten milk replacer for a few weeks for the extra nutrients and calories.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Almost all wet foods are OK to use as they are usually better than dry food.
There ARE exceptions: brand which are funny low fat. I think the organic brand of Yarrah has very low fat niveu. I suppose its aimed at inside adult cats.

Also, there are brands of dry food, organic style and lotsa of interesing ingredients. A little overdone, but still, I like them and they are excellent as far as dry food goes. This brand Im thinking on has also a wet food variation. Guess thrice its content?! Yes, its exactly the same just submerged in water....
Curtains. The main reason for dry food to have much extra carbs is not because carbs are necessary, but to keep together the dry food itself. So while in dry food it makes sense to have good nutrious carbs instead of empty cereals carbs, there is no point of putting in extra carbs into wet food.... Perhaps just a little, no more...

I agree you should use the kitten to all sorts of food, if not by any other reason, to make it easier for the permanent home owner.