Kitten Toileting Outside Litterbox And Other Behaviours

Yvonne_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has been really good with his litter box since I brought him home (I have had him for a little over a month), however he has peed 4 times outside his litter box for the past 2-3 days, and has pooped outside it once. He has peed in the same corner of the room (his box was only a metre away) 3 out of the 4 times and on a plastic bag the other time. I also came home to a piece of poo in the middle of the room a couple days ago. Otherwise he still uses the litter box. He has 2 litter boxes placed conveniently. How do I let him know that this is not acceptable? I've also noticed he flops onto his side a lot in the past 2 days, and prefers resting/sleeping on the hard floor rather than a soft bed. He is playful when I interact with him but I have given him a lot less attention due to commitments recently, is this a sign of boredom, or something health-related?

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmm might be a couple of reasons:

- The litterbox isn't regularly clean enough. Kitties can be picky about this, understandably.
- Litterbox has become too small in size.
- Urinary track infection, among other ailments that might cause some discomfort. This would need more vet intervention of course.
- Litterbox has been moved around, causing some miffed personal stress.
- Doesn't like the type of litter, if litter was recently changed into a new brand. Some cats don't like scented litter.
- Sometimes cats can prefer having two different potties, one specifically for pooping and the other for peeing. Perhaps a second box might be beneficial if there isn't already?
- Situate litterboxes in the most desirable areas, while thoroughly cleaning the already pottied areas to eliminate the smells and then make those locations undesirable for use by putting something like aluminum foil or an actual blockade. After awhile you would eventually be able to remove the blockade/unpleasant addition. Kitties also don't like eating in the same area as where they go to toilet, so putting the odd snack in the area might assist in deterring too.
- Definitely give more attention!

I reckon others might provide more detail info or insight - in any case, best of luck!