kitten looking for love in all the wrong places.

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my youngest kitten pandy has been on heat a few times recently, (she's an indoor only cat and we are getting her spayed in a few weeks) when she first did it, she would lay flat on the ground with her tail lifted and make this strange crying sound, i knew what was wrong so i would just hug her and giver her a bowl of milk to settle her down.

The problem i have now is she's trying to hit on? anassa and bonnie
she will chase anassa around the house, when nassa gives up and lays down pandy will smoosh her and rub her face against nassa and try to interest her, she also does this to bonnie but bonnie ignors her and walks away, we are getting her spayed soon, i was just wondering why she would do this....anassa is a dog

love,

felicia

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She won't care whether it's a dog, a stuffed bear, or a male cat. She is "putting herself out there" so to speak

I'm sure you already know this but BE VERY careful that she does not get out. Cats in heat can be sneaky little girls and will do almost anything to be mated. Good for you for getting her fixed soon, as it's not a good idea to let cats go in and out of heat~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ash_bct

She won't care whether it's a dog, a stuffed bear, or a male cat. She is "putting herself out there" so to speak

I'm sure you already know this but BE VERY careful that she does not get out. Cats in heat can be sneaky little girls and will do almost anything to be mated. Good for you for getting her fixed soon, as it's not a good idea to let cats go in and out of heat~
oh wow, i didn't know that, i thought cats on heat would only 'put themselves out there' for other male cats.

i read up somehwere that they can be sneaky and have been watching her very closely.

we are taking her in a few weeks, i'm a bit nervous about her going under, she's so tiny

iv'e also been concerned that having her desexed will change her personality, make her aloof....she's so smoochy and loving, i don't want that to change at all. This is not going to stop me getting her desexed at all, i'm just curious, does it change their personality's?

thankyou, i feel so bad for not having it done already, it just happened so suddenly.

love,

felicia

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does not change their personality- what is does change is it takes them out of the running for some really nasty diseases. It stops their wandering and it also helps to make a small dent in the overpopulation issue for cats. She will try her darndest to get out as the heat continues, and Ash is right, she won't care what type of animal is around- she just knows she needs a male. If I were you, I would consider getting her spayed quicker than a few weeks.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it will stop her current (annoying) behavior, but otherwise will not change her personality.

I have Sugartoes, who just had her 3rd litter in 6 months. Her kits were a week old yesterday, and she snuck out of their room, looking for love. I know everyone thinks they can keep their cat safe from pregnancy, but the safest way to do so is spay/neuter!

When the kits are 8 weeks old, Sugartoes will get snipped. But I feed bad for her until then, she has a natural hormonal call causing her to be unhappy. Although I am enjoying her kits, how much nicer for her if her owner had been more responsible and taken care of this 8 months ago!

I'm glad you are taking Pandy in soon. Maybe you can move the appt sooner for your peace of mind!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my three are exactly the same as they were before spaying - and all have different personalities. Persil was the only one who went into heat before I had her spayed and that was because the vet waited too long for her to recover from previous surgery. But it really was fine, even though she was very small for her age owing to having been seriously ill.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
pandybear..I would second the suggestion to see if you can get her spayed sooner. Contact your vet and explain her behavior. As someone who has 2 cats that were the product of a cat who accidentally "got out" before her spay appt. (a total of 6 times!!..that's right...6 litters!) I know that cats will try anything to get to a man. So you need to watch her like a hawk until she gets spayed. I found my cat was more loving once I had her spayed....at least to me.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou all for your replies,

i would go in earlier but we live a long way from the vet and only go in every two weeks

i'm glad it won't change her personality, i can't wait until it's over though, it's pretty obvious it is upsetting for her and that upsets me

it annoys bonnie and anassa, she won't leave them alone for a minute

felicia

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I have ever heard or experienced was it changing their behavior for the better. We had a really nasty, mean little girl who hated being picked up or touched and attacked everyone but my boyfriend. When we had her spayed (she was over a year) she was pissed off and nasty for about 2 days and then she turned into the most affetionate, lovable cat ever. She now jumps on our laps and purrs and sleeps ontop of or under the covers with us. She also had a cyst in her ovaries which we would not have known about unless we had her spayed. Or until it was too late to do anything about it or the cysts got bigger and something bad happened. Another reason to spay your cats as soon as they hit 2 lbs or 10-12 weeks, not 6 months or a year like we did.