Kitten "hormones"

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When do kittens start producing testosterone?
My kittens are 8-9 weeks old and people say I should get them neutered before they reach puberty.
So when DO they reach puberty, and what age is best to get them neutered?
6 months or younger?

dazeemazeegraze

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittens can go into heat as early as 4 months. I had a relavtive some years ago who had a brother/sister pair, they had a litter when they were not quite 8 months old. Your kitties are 2 months, any time in the next 120 days would be purrfect to have spay/neuter done.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
call your vet many vets do early spay and neuters. Let your vet tell you when the time is right to get your kittens done.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats are different, some breeds mature later then others. I have my cats neutered and spayed around 10 weeks. Vets CAN do it this early but a lot of them are old-fashioned and say to wait until 6 months. If you have male and female kittens then please find a different vet that will do it early.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Hissy...your vet will tell you....but if your kitty starts acting "horney" before that be sure you call your vet and tell him...he may want to do it then, even if it is before the time he`d suggested. (My vet said 6 mo, but Toby started noticing a female hanging around outside the window and was yowling and trying to get out to her....that was between 4-5 months...the vet told me if he was acting like that then it was time!)
Linda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're two boys.
I heard that if they do reach puberty then they will start spraying and stuff.
However, if they do not reach it and they get neutered they will never have to spray or act "horney" because they won't know how?

So in two months then (4 months old)?

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also with male cats the earlier the better. That way there urine has not changed to the real strong boy cat oder!

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok.

Now, in my mom said her friend got her cat spayed for 130$.
Apparently thats too much? Why are the prices so high in New York.
Also, I have noticed there is no Humane Society in New York. How ironic...

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoggy

Ok.

Now, in my mom said her friend got her cat spayed for 130$.
Apparently thats too much? Why are the prices so high in New York.
Also, I have noticed there is no Humane Society in New York. How ironic...
New York!?!?! well, now I know why your prices are high! I'll try to do some research though and if I come up with anything let you know... which part of new york??

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok Zoggy,

I did your research for you
go to this link and it will take you to a page which lists MANY low cost spay neuter clinics all over New York

http://www.lovethatcat.com/stny.html

I'm so proud of myself I did my good deed for the day!
Most prices listed were 30 dollars and under.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Brooklyn.
There is only one place listed there in Brooklyn.

www.muffins.org

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well check it out silly, surely there are other places nearby brooklyn as well. I can't scheduele an appointment and drive you there! (though I would if I didn't live in Kansas) all I can do is give you the link, you have to do the rest-- There is a national phone # on there they may know of some more programs if you call.

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoggy

They're two boys.
I heard that if they do reach puberty then they will start spraying and stuff.
However, if they do not reach it and they get neutered they will never have to spray or act "horney" because they won't know how?

So in two months then (4 months old)?
With modern veterinary medicine, kittens can be spayed/neutered once they're 2-3 months old. For male kittens, it's important that the testicles have descended into the scrotal sack - this usually happens by 3 months, but a vet or vet tech will be able to tell for sure.

Male kittens who are neutered before reaching reproductive maturity will not have the biological urge to exhibit mating behaviours such as spraying, fighting for females, and killing kittens to gain access to the mother. They're no longer at the mercy of their hormones and subsequently make for more manageable pets. If a male kitten has already started spraying, neutering will eliminate the biological urge, but he may still be psychologically used to spraying.

NYC vets typically charge $100-$200 for spay, and $75-$150 for neuter. (Neuter is a simpler procedure, and therefore cheaper.) And Manhattan prices can be double that.

The ASPCA has a van/mobile clinic that comes out to various locations in the 5 boroughs, and will provide low cost spay/neuter - call them at 212-876-7700 or check out their page at: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...bout_questions

The Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals has this list of low cost spay/neuter services: http://www.animalalliancenyc.org/ser...spayneuter.htm - it includes the ASPCA's hospital and Bide-A-Wee's and the Humane Society's clinics.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw something that was hilarious in a readers digest years ago that I still remember reading. It was one of those funny little anecdotes. Lets see if I can remember how it goes:

A person calls their vet to make an appointment to get their cat fixed. The assistant asked if this would be a spay or neuter? A long pause followed. The response was, "Whichever one's cheapest, please."

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

I saw something that was hilarious in a readers digest years ago that I still remember reading. It was one of those funny little anecdotes. Lets see if I can remember how it goes:

A person calls their vet to make an appointment to get their cat fixed. The assistant asked if this would be a spay or neuter? A long pause followed. The response was, "Whichever one's cheapest, please."