Kitten doesn't poo often?

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I don't know wheter to put this on health or here, but found out it'd be more fitting here
So my rescue kitten was hving bad diarrhea like the first week of having her, but she has recovered with bland diet and I change her diet to raw slowly (over 1 week). She has been living with me for a month now and is very healthy and active and growing quickly 😂 when I first rescued her she was like only 480 gr and now she's 1.4 kg HHHH

anyway back to the topic, I know feeding raw means less poo, and I see it, but at one point she got constipated, so I decided to reduce the bone percentage. I also give her daily probiotics to make sure she has good gut health.
But the problem is, she seemed she doesn't like to poo? Doesn't like is maybe exaggerating it, but she never put much effort to get those poo out, and she gety easily distracted (like if she sees a mosquito, or hear something interesting) so if she gets distracted, she won't continue to poo. She also does this thing of digging the litter, get into a position, but immediately dig another spot, and get into a position, and dig another spot again, like sbe can dig around 5-6 spot until she finds the right place to poo, and if she gets distracted, well, she won't poo. I don't think this is constipation cause she has been doing this behavior ever since I got her, and her poo is actually in a very good shape and moisture, not too hard nor too soft now.
Sometimes I bave to force her to go to toilet to make sure she poo that day, by forcing her I mean I shake the litter box or fake clean it, since she liked to pee and poo when I cleaned her litter box.I also cleaned the litter box everyday, sometimes twice a day.
I'm at lost rn I really have no idea what to do hhhh. Iy afraid she'll go constipation again if she holds those poo, since it can take moisture from the poo

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her litterbox behavior sounds pretty normal to me, I’ve got cats with similar litterbox habits. I have one who prefers one litterbox to pee in, and another litterbox to poop in. The litterboxes are next to each other. You could add a litterbox and see what she does.

If you give her a treat after she uses the litterbox, she could eventually get to where she will use the litterbox in order to get a treat. This happened to me with a cat I started rewarding for peeing in the litterbox so there’s less pee for his marking behavior.

I’d say that unless you see her straining to poop but not pooping, or scooting around and grooming her butt excessively, don’t worry. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as her poo is not overly hard and like rabbit pellets, I wouldn't worry about it. You will know how often she goes if you clean the box daily. She should be going at least every other day. Encourage water, I set several little bowls around to make my cats get curious and seek them out. ( out of 10 times they will drink a few laps from their 'discovery'.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her litterbox behavior sounds pretty normal to me, I’ve got cats with similar litterbox habits. I have one who prefers one litterbox to pee in, and another litterbox to poop in. The litterboxes are next to each other. You could add a litterbox and see what she does.

If you give her a treat after she uses the litterbox, she could eventually get to where she will use the litterbox in order to get a treat. This happened to me with a cat I started rewarding for peeing in the litterbox so there’s less pee for his marking behavior.

I’d say that unless you see her straining to poop but not pooping, or scooting around and grooming her butt excessively, don’t worry. :)
As long as her poo is not overly hard and like rabbit pellets, I wouldn't worry about it. You will know how often she goes if you clean the box daily. She should be going at least every other day. Encourage water, I set several little bowls around to make my cats get curious and seek them out. ( out of 10 times they will drink a few laps from their 'discovery'.)
Thank you so much for the respond! I'll try adding another litter box then, also I tried giving her more litter and I think she liked it more when the litter is very deep. I put broth on her meals to make sure she drinks a lot, she mostly still poo everyday, but sometimes it's once in two days, and I'll get freaked out hhhh.

I have a question unrelated to this, but she's going to get her first vaccination tmr, is it still okay to give her raw food after vaccination?