Kitten Diareaha

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This afternoon I was sitting in the bedroom when one of the kittens started to cry really hard. Adina was in with them so I didn't really worry. About a minute later the crying stopped and I was assaulted by a horrible smell
I looked in the closet and one of the kittens had explosive diareaha all over. Adina is solid white and so are two of the kittens. They were covered in yellow poo. I pulled the blankets out and threw them in the washer and gave the kittens a spit bath. What would cause that? The kittens are only two weeks old.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY

This afternoon I was sitting in the bedroom when one of the kittens started to cry really hard. Adina was in with them so I didn't really worry. About a minute later the crying stopped and I was assaulted by a horrible smell
I looked in the closet and one of the kittens had explosive diareaha all over. Adina is solid white and so are two of the kittens. They were covered in yellow poo. I pulled the blankets out and threw them in the washer and gave the kittens a spit bath. What would cause that? The kittens are only two weeks old.
There are several different things that could cause the diarrhea. At this age, it can cause dehydration in kittens very quickly! I would recommed taking in a stool sample in the morning to the vet, to get the correct medication to start helping. If any of the kittens start seeming dehydrated or lethargic, the kittens will need to go in for Sub-q fluids.
Please keep us updated. You are in my thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The stool was yellow and really smelly. It was not watery but not solid, it was a medium consistency. He seems to be doing fine now. It was even on the walls, it just exploded. I wonder if he was a little constipated and when he finally let loose
It just...let loose. I did feed the momma a new wet food this morning, maybe it didn't agree with the babies.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of this morning there has been no more accidents
He seems to be doing fine. His eyes are starting to open

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear it. I didn't realize it was his very first solid food, that could explain it.

I hope they all continue to do well. I look forward to the continued updates.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten didn't eat the food, the momma did. It was to rich I think. He is doing much better this morning.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear little kitten is doing better.

By the way - Adina is such a lovely name!

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Minxie, it is Hebrew for "delicate". She is such a little thing