Kitten Breed Assist?

figandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to all you kitty experts out there!! We adopted two bonded brothers recently, they're from a rescue and they were abandoned behind a dollar store so we don't have much info on them but we've been debating for weeks what they could possibly be (we have a pretty good guess but don't want to influence anyone here with our ideas)

Fig is the orange one, he was roughly 8 weeks old when we got him and he weighed 2-3 lbs, he's now 18 weeks old and 11-12 pounds!! he's HUGE! he's very dense and rigid, solid muscle but not fat. his fur texture is quite rough. also notable is his very curly, skinny, and reactive tail

His brother Louis, the grey one, is smaller at 9 lbs and also much softer, fluffier, and all around more bendy

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
20170302_180848.jpg

This is Kabuto if you were wondering, hes an oriental cross. Your orange bicolour has a simmaler snout to him.

This picture is when he was younger, he is amost 17 with hyperthyroidism and chf now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

figandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw him on your page when you commented 🥰 I was also their noses and ears were oriental shorthairish so that confirms that! I am just STUNNED by Fig being almost twelve pounds at four months old so was finally curious to come ask if anyone thought it meant anything 🤣

thanks for your reply/time though!

figandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*also thinking their noses

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
and those great big ears. I had a tuxedo cat named figaro years ago. he was giant. he also had this oriental cross look.

figandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes!! his ears are enormous 🤣 that and his nose is what made us (and everyone else) suspect there is some oriental in there!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They have surely some ancestry. it could be Orientale in the background, but more probable their sister breed the siamese.

What bothers me, the biggish red white is clearly a spotted tabby, while the other seems to be a broken mackerel...
Of course, with mixes everything may happen...
but still, I wont swear they are biological littermates... Even if they were found / dumped together.

figandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've thought maybe they weren't related but according to the rescue/vet they are! and honestly, if you get a really good look at them there patterns are almost identical, the way their white has spread vs the color. they're almost like color swapped versions of each other but louis is just smaller 🤣
20231215_081608.jpg

it's almost like the only thing they got in common was the shape their pattern spread in. Louis even has the faintest traces of orange around his pattern. their other sister, who I don't have, is a full grey tabby with orange bits as well!! they're quite the colorful little bunch

figandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*their pattern

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
its possible they have different daddies tho. a single litter can theoretically each have a different da

figandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought that could be as well! I'm considering a DNA test just because I'm so curious lol. if I ever get one done for them I will definitely come update!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had a dna test done on Kabuto. His papers from the shelter and vet say "oriental cross" an oriental is basicaly a siamese without points. Theres over 100 different patterns including bi-colour.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant mates from the past. I assume part of how they look is from their dad and dad's dad and so on? It's a mystry. I am in no way knowledgeable about this! But it is interesting.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never had a dna test done on Kabuto. His papers from the shelter and vet say "oriental cross" an oriental is basicaly a siamese without points. Theres over 100 different patterns including bi-colour.
i did base paws on all of my non purebred cats. thinking about doing my one remaining purebred but he's been so healthy all his life it's unlikely we'd get anything out of hte health profiles. I recommend it if you are interested. I found it interesting stuff. they have improved a lot from the early days when they told me he
PXL_20230708_182407094.jpg

was Abyssinian lol. the tests won't say he is this or he is that meaning that it's for sure there was an ancestor of pure bred there but they will say he has traits in common and what percentage. and from there you can kind of add up what natural breeds might be represented. its also possible to get a mostly polycat result and from what I understand most cats do come back with that. so far none of the cats ive tested have come back high on polycat though. it can also be helpful with genetic health issues to be aware of.

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello to all you kitty experts out there!! We adopted two bonded brothers recently, they're from a rescue and they were abandoned behind a dollar store so we don't have much info on them but we've been debating for weeks what they could possibly be (we have a pretty good guess but don't want to influence anyone here with our ideas)

Fig is the orange one, he was roughly 8 weeks old when we got him and he weighed 2-3 lbs, he's now 18 weeks old and 11-12 pounds!! he's HUGE! he's very dense and rigid, solid muscle but not fat. his fur texture is quite rough. also notable is his very curly, skinny, and reactive tail

His brother Louis, the grey one, is smaller at 9 lbs and also much softer, fluffier, and all around more bendy
Such wholesome pictures❤
Thanks for sharing!!