Kitten and raw feeding.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding raw based on the recipe here: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood for my adult female and an almost 3 month old kitten. Every time they finish their food they go bezerk. It's almost as if I fed them an energy drink, especially for the kitten. Do you think I should lessen the amount of taurine in the food until the kitten is older, and if so, by how much?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand. Why do you think you may need to decrease the taurine?

Whatever your reason the answer is no, don't decrease it. It is a critical amino acid that can safely be given in excess but can cause severe problems if inadequate amounts are given.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten is tearing around the room like he was given an energy drink (taurine is in energy drinks, by the way.) Before we fed him raw he was much calmer. I was just wondering if an adult dose of taurine may be too much.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal and expected for cats on a raw diet to have more energy. As far as I know it has nothing to do with taurine.

I repeat, do not decrease the taurine. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay he is about 11 and a half weeks old and weighs about 2 and a half pounds. How much food should he be eating a day? Combined he and his mama (around 9 pounds) are eating about 9 oz of food a day.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rule of thumb is to feed kittens as much as they want. I know I've had kittens that were eating about 8 oz a day but I don't recall how old they were at that point. I'm pretty sure they were more than 12 weeks old.

I know there are members here who have fed kittens a raw diet. Hopefully one of them can give you a better idea. Just remember, kittens eat a lot!