Kitten After Spay Concern

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked and didn't see this question, so if it's been asked already, I apologize.
It has been years since I had a female cat spayed and they didn't use gas then.

Is it normal for a 3 lb kitten to look like they've lost a lot of weight after spay? Their flanks are caved in, shoulders protruding and they even feel lighter. I realize they went from 10pm to 4pm without food and water, but they didn't look like this when I dropped them off this morning.
I've been giving them small frequent meals of canned food. I can't weigh them as my scale won't give an accurate weight if they move, and they won't hold still.

Am I being paranoid?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's really hard for kittens to go 18 hours without food and water. They sound dehydrated.

I had my kittens done at about 3 pounds also, and no, they did not look like that. But mine were allowed to eat the night before and the morning of until 7am.

Mine were back home by 3pm and eating again!

The clinic I used specifically stated that kittens are allowed to eat in the morning because they are kittens and need it. Adult cats observe the no eating from the night before rule.

Keep feeding them as much as they want for now. They should recoup and look better in a few days!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding. I am giving them about 1/2 can of wet every 3 hours and unlimited dry. I am wondering if you are correct. The shelter worker who called me sounded very distracted and I had to ask which place to take them. She hesitated before answering like she didn't even hear me.
On the up side, I just let them out of the playpen to stretch their legs and Samai jumped on the cat tree, then proceeded to kill moths. I'm keeping them in the playpen to limit their actions.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mine were playing and nursing and running up and down stairs afterwards. They also took a good nap.

It sounds like yours are starting to recover!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

Well, after spending most the night giving them 2ml of pedialyte every couple of hours and 1/2 can of wet every 3-3.5 hours, they are back to normal. Flanks are back to full, shoulders are filled back in and very playful.
Samai escaped the playpen and attacked my keyboard, brought up the source code which in turn locked my keyboard up. Had to reboot. Don't you just love kittens?

So now the hard part. After I feed the kittens a can of wet again, I have to load Sable up and take her back to the shelter to meet her new family. I just hope her new home loves her. But, since the shelter won't let me know if she ends back up over there, I'm going to keep a real close eye on their web page. If she does, I will adopt her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad to hear they are back to normal!

Aww, adoption day is never easy. She'll miss her siblings, but hopefully her new family will be awesome.

Do you know how they screen potential adopters?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I had to answer a bunch of questions and a couple of the workers said they had to do a couple of home checks. But I know people who have adopted from them and all they did was fill out the paperwork.
I was approved immediately, but then, I was raising them.
I keep putting off taking her, but I know that I have to do this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you tell them you changed your mind and want to keep her?

Surely the adopters can pick another kitten, and the rescue would understand.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Already tried. I keep hoping that they will call the new adopter to pick her up and they changed their mind.
But, honestly, I am not sure I can handle her.
There is a scene in The Ghost and the Darkness where Michael Douglas is talking about two bully brothers he grew up with. "Separate they were bullies, together they were lethal" (or close to that). Sable is the lethal one.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So new things have developed. While I was there with Sable, the manager called the new adopter and she was coming to get her. I was happy. Then I see Sable up on the web page. Called the manager's cell phone and found out that the person didn't have the $20 adoption fee, so the manager told her there was no way they were giving her a kitten. If she couldn't afford $20, then how was she going to be able to buy cat food, litter or a vet bill.
But, she had someone on a waiting list for a tortie. Woman had lost her beloved and wanted another just like her.
The manager also promised me that if she didn't have any confirmation by noon tomorrow, she would call me and I will go adopt her.

BTW, she took her home with her tonight so she wouldn't be alone (no siblings) in a shelter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm going to hope that this confirmation never comes. I wish you could have taken her back to your home, but that was kind of her to take her herself.

Don't they have any other torties in-house?

Do you plan to be there at noon tomorrow in person?

The manager is right about the no money part! Unbelievable!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will wait for her to call, or I will call her. It's an hour drive so I don't want to go if the other person wants her. She would have called me as soon as she spoke to the first person the second time, but she wanted to give the other woman on the waiting list a chance first.
There are a few adult torties at the Humane Society but the shelter only has a calico and a couple of black kittens. Sable is the only tortie kitten on the mountain right now.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Girls. And no. They are actually much calmer without the terror. But I miss the little monster.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just corrected that - sorry!

We'll see what happens tomorrow. These things always work out how they are supposed to.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't wait until noon, so I called early.
The lady was waiting for them to open the doors. Sable is in her new home. I will still worry that she's alright, but if the person was that exited and anxious to get her, she has it made.

Thank you Sarthur2 Sarthur2 for being there for me during all this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, like I said, these things always work out for the best!

I agree that the person waiting for the doors to open must have been incredibly excited to get her new tortie. I'm sure it will be a happy, healthy furr-ever home!

I was happy to be there for you! :)