Just venting a little...

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to whine a little because I honestly don't know what to do. I hope this doesn't become one of my mega posts.

Mama's boyfriend, Mike (yes I named him) disappeared after we took Mama and the kittens in. I never could figure out what happened but was hopeful that someone took him in. I could never get within a football field's length of the guy. He reappeared a couple of weeks ago. I was excited to see that he was still living and didn't look too bad considering winter had just gone by. He'd been eating somewhere. Coming home from work the other night, I saw him. There is a farm house on the county road we live off of and he was there sitting in the yard with some other kitties (I suspected this is where all our kitties are coming from) . I smiled knowing that he seemed happy to be with the others and that eventhough he was not helping with the population explosion, he was basically O.K. I even turned the car around to get a look at him again. As I drove by the final time. He was playfully chasing another cat and he was holding one leg in the air. This stressed me out. DH just saw him again under our bird feeder and he was still holding it up. This is a new development - probably happened last week sometime. Here's my real dilema. I cannot take another one in. My husband will not allow it. I thought about trap and release but I'm working all day. I remember how horrible it was to see Mama and her reaction when we shut her in the garage. He's even more wild than she was. He would not survive the cage/trap if I wasn't here to take him to the vet. I don't know if these neighbors think this is "their" cat or not. It's a long story, but we had to call the animal warden on these people because their dogs destroyed a tree of ours and part of our deck once trying to get to a cat probably. Dogs are not allowed to roam freely in our county. Needless to say, they know who we are and would not cooperate even if I was willing to pay the bill to get him neutered and his leg fixed. I'm feeling pretty sad about it, so thanks for letting me vent.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a hard one but if it were me I would try and trap him overnight and take him to a vet in the morning, at least for exam and treatment of his leg, and neutering. It is a question of balance - in the long run, what will do him more harm - TNR and all it involves or suffering and possibly dying from an untreated injury?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't want to get into some legal battle over what might be their cat, though, you know? Do you think that they could do that? Even if I did it for his own good? What if they don't want it neutered?

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I don't know Chris. Sorry I can't help but I just wanted to let you know that I care!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh Chris - I wish I knew what to say. I can understand how you feel - I'd be very wary in that situation as well considering what's gone on in the past. It's a real toughie.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have neutered neighbor's neglected cats in the past, and honestly they have never even noticed. I wonder if he got his leg caught in a gopher trap or something? It's so sad all the cats out there in various states of disrepair and there are not enough good samartians available to help them all.
You do what you can, when you can and that is the best you can do.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for caring, everyone. I even thought of leaving $100 in their mailbox and asking them to take him to the vet but then I realized that if they didn't care now, the money probably wouldn't be spent as I intended. If he keeps hanging around my house, I guess I have some right, right??? After all, how was I supposed to know he was someone else's cat, right? It irritates me that they are allowing the neighborhood to be overrun. Last year , I took in Mama and dealt with the babies, and the year before that, our next door neighbors took in all three of Mama's babies and had them fixed and took them in. Now I see a three - five cats I've never seen so I can only imagine how many there really are. Maybe I will snoop around and see if anyone knows them to take me out of the picture and ask if they can ask about the cat.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good idea - seeing if anyone else can have a word. If someone who doesn't have previous history with them can ask if the cat belongs to them at least you'll know one way or the other. But I think you're right - if he keeps hanging around - then he's just a stray isn't he? If you fix and release him - how were you to know any different?

rita

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Hmm, I don't know Chris. Sorry I can't help but I just wanted to let you know that I care!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone. You're the best !

lottomagicz4941

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dogs can be visious so it is probably good to have them secured in fences. But wild cats will leave you alone unless you mess with their kittens. In one city near us they are talking about cat leash laws how wrong is that!!!

My shoulder is still tender from messing it up in high school. Some injuries don't heal well. His leg probably set badly from the injury. Like the cat I returned permaturely to using my shoulder.

When ever I get a virus my shoulder hurts. He sounds like a tough cat and like you said he seemed happy. Chances are the vet might not be able to do much anyway.