Just Came Home From Vacation, Cat Batting At Tail

catlegproblem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm pretty new to owning a cat, I've only had her a couple months now, so I'm not really positive on whats normal behavior and whats not. I'd been gone the past week visiting home for the holidays and my roommate has been watching her for me and said she's been fine. When I got back she seemed happy to see me and playful, but I noticed a couple hours later when I was outside she was meowing at me from a window a lot. She normally only meows when she wants food/right when I have food in my hand, so thats what I figured. Today though I had just finished playing with her(throwing a little toy bird around) after we were done she got into a sort of pouncing position and clawed at the couch, and then when she was licking herself and seemed to catch sight of her tail moving she'd bat at it like it was a piece of string.

So is this worrisome? When I looked it up it seems that cats aren't supposed to bat at their tails, but I couldn't find a solid explanation, besides maybe separation anxiety, but I figured that wouldn't be the case since I'm well, here.

Otherwise she seems perfectly healthy, eating fine, walking fine, nothing else abnormal. She's an adopted stray, according to the vet about 2-3 years old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its normal for cats to behave a little different after we go away. Mine have always gone back to normal after a few days.

I don't think I'd be concerned about some tail batting. Especially if she was feeling silly/playful at the moment. If she starts hurting herself of fixating on it; then I'd contact your vet.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten chases his tail all the time. I wouldn’t be concerned. These all sound like normal behaviours. You’ve only had him for 2 months so you haven’t seen his full personality yet.