Its Flea Season

bentleysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you use for flea control? I just orderd frontline from 1800petmeds. I used them last year and liked them.

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use frontline and I use Johnson's spray to protect the beds and carpets etc.

mamam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Frontline.
Hush, don't tell the people who make Frontline, but...

I don't have much money, (I'd rather spend it to neuter/spay more cats) so I order the biggest dog dose and use a syringe to divide it into small cat doses. They use the same formula and the same concentration, I think.

weatherlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a violation of federal law (not just company policy), and can be dangerous for the cats, I hope you know. Don't you need a vet's prescription, like with Advantage?

No fleas here. We just feed brewer's yeast every day.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a flea here, but one of my cats had tapeworm a couple of times in the past. So I don't know if he got it from fleas or from mice. At any rate, I use Advantage during flea season. I skip several months in the winter. But I'm very bad about keeping track of dates, so I may have gone too long at times and left them unprotected unintentionally.

mamam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Weatherlight

That's a violation of federal law (not just company policy), and can be dangerous for the cats, I hope you know. Don't you need a vet's prescription, like with Advantage?
Hmmm... My vet lets me do it. No prescription. I just bought Frontline at the pet store.
The vet taught me how to apply it.

weatherlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your vet says it's ok to divide Frontline for dogs and use that on your cats? Especially considering that it probably says so on the box, I can't believe he wouldn't know that's illegal.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I guess my vet breaks the law too. He showed me the formula to breakdown Advantage for dogs and dose my cats. I have been doing it for a long time, and it has saved a lot of money with no ill effects for my cats. It is a precise dose measurement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bentleysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So you get the largest does of advantage for dogs and divide it and give it to your cats?

Frontline is going to cost me 65 dollars a month for 5 cats. I got it in the mail on saturday, applied on them on sunday and they stopped itching almost right away.

dottiemaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I moved into my house last fall the house had fleas
which my kitten prompty became a breeding ground for :p I got advantage for him then. But now my cat Charlie goes outside, and I used Revolution for him. I still have some advantage, but I don't want to take any chances with Charlie bringing in anything. I'd rather pay for the revolution, rather then have to deal with worms in my house, with my old cat and my kitten (who has been medicated plenty already in his short life)

.maggie

dianeflys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Weatherlight

Your vet says it's ok to divide Frontline for dogs and use that on your cats? Especially considering that it probably says so on the box, I can't believe he wouldn't know that's illegal.
It is the exact same formula, whether for dogs or cats. Specifically, 9.7% fipronil, 90.3% inert ingredients. While it certainly is not what Merial would want (read more profits for them), it is an excellent way to administer flea control to multiple pets,if one takes the time to find out how to do it properly. Reference-http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html.
If this cost savings allows someone to provide a loving home to one more unwanted cat that is a good thing! You sound superior and judgemental, whether that's your intention or not---I hope not!!

kmonceaux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Revolution because it also covers for heartworms. Even though my cats are indoor only they will still get it year around because where I live in Texas it stays warm 9-10 months of the year and mosquitos and fleas are bad.