It seems my cat has not been drinking as much water lately....any advice?

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In cleaning out the litter box yesterday, it seemed there was less urine than usual. Also, I don't seem to recall refilling her water bowl as much of late. I read somewhere about pulling up the hair and skin on the back of the neck to see if it snaps back, and I'd say it seems to. I do always add extra water to her canned food being that it gets mixed with a dose of the Nordic Naturals Omega-3 fish oil.

Quick update....just came across a similar thread in "Cat Nutrition" where the owner has a cat fountain (as do I). The general take seems to be that, outside of what they get from the canned food, cats typically don't drink much extra water. Come to think of it, I do hardly ever see her at the bowl, although I've frequently had to add water - can hear when the pump is struggling. Perhaps fluctuations in the amount of water that is evaporating.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! You could add a couple of extra bowls in interesting (to her) places. Is your water filtered so it tastes good/has no odors that might put her nose/taste buds off?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there just one bowl of water? Always have more than one, in different places, preferably from different material like if one is ceramic, make the other glass or metal.

She might have gotten pickier about the taste of water. If you use tap water, the taste of it might have changed. Try bottled water.

If you wash the bowl every other day, try washing daily. If you change the water once a day, change twice a day.

Mine has always been a challenge about water anyway but sometimes she gets pickier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have had one bowl of water for years. We use our well water but I've always added oxyfresh oral hygiene solution to two containers of water (half-gallon each) and use those to supply the fountain (those things hold aLOT of water). I use so little of the oxyfresh at a time so as a result the container of that is certainly a few years old. Perhaps get rid of that and replace with new. Just checked and there is evidence of urine in the litter box - so that happened since last evening. My cat, Marzipan, is now about 10 years old - it is uncertain being that the place we got her somewhat estimated her to be 1 or 2 at the time. She has certainly slowed down over the years, but otherwise seems fine.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use our well water but I've always added oxyfresh oral hygiene solution to two containers of water (half-gallon each) and use those to supply the fountain (those things hold aLOT of water)
There is also the possibility she now dislikes that solution. If I were you I would have multiple water bowls and add the solution to only one of them. There are no brush tooth gels they lick, so you can still give something similar as the oral hygiene solution if she ends up not drinking water from the bowl with the solution.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try without the solution. It's very diluted with only 2 tsp. to 1/2 gallon, but they're certainly more discerning than we are. Been keeping close tabs on her water bowl level (actually a fountain) and, since I changed it a few days ago, I don't see any difference in the starting level. I've always been able to tell when it starts to get low by the sound of the pump. I've been checking the litter box regularly as well since cleaning it out a few nights ago and do find evidence of urine. She is on both wet and dry food. Wet = twice daily Dry = once daily (mid-day). Have not yet added another bowl somewhere in the house. Been acting and eating normally otherwise. She's overdue for regular check-up - I am never lax on this but have been this time due all the covid concerns - but now with this water situation she needs to be checked.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Becoming a bit more concerned. I now have multiple water bowls around, but don't see the levels going down in any of them. I've always added some water to her canned food (sort of mixing the water in with the food), but now have been adding more. She slurps up all of it but I'm still worried that this is not near enough. All the bowls have fresh water free of the oral hygiene solution I mentioned. She is eating and acting normally (always had a great appetite and wants her food hours before it's even time for it). She goes to the vet next Friday - was hoping for an earlier appt. but they were pretty booked full. Any suggestions in the meantime?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is the urine output compared to when you first posted about her drinking? If it is still about the same, then you might just be giving her enough moisture with what you are adding to her canned food. Cats, some more than others, are notorious for not drinking much.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say urine is probably about the same (or maybe a bit less). The thing is, up until the last few weeks, I seem to recall having to refill her fountain every few days - I know cause I'd hear the pump starting to run low. So that's a bit of a recent change - that I don't have to add hardly anything to the fountain, which is what alerted me to this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would say just keep an eye on her urine output while you wait for the vet appt. You could try to mix some water to her dry food and see if she would be interested in eating it that way. Or, try bottled water in one of her bowls to see if that might appeal to her.

Does she go outside at all? Maybe she has found water source out there, and also is peeing outdoors too?

If she is eating well and otherwise appears healthy, and nothing changes with regard to these aspects, you should be OK waiting until her appt. to talk to the vet about her drinking/peeing less.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Funny you mention adding water to dry food - I thought about doing that. I have no doubt she'd go for it! She is ALWAYS looking for more food - moreso past year or two the way it seems. Indoor cat only. Thanks...

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she eats wet food twice a day and you also add water to it and she’s not showing any signs of dehydration, she’s fine. A lot of cats don’t like to drink water often if they get enough water from their food. The water in the cat fountain is probably evaporating mainly, especially since the constant circulation increases evaporation. If it’s more humid where you are in the summer it’s possible less water is evaporating now which would explain the change.

However if you’re going to the vet anyway it can’t hurt to mention it.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On fully wet diet cats do drink very little. With extra water added in food, I don't think it's extraordinary he drinks little. In case the water only gets refilled, I would strongly recommend emptying, washing and filling the water bowl up from scratch every day.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it’s more humid where you are in the summer it’s possible less water is evaporating now which would explain the change.
That's my guess too. It's been so humid here I haven't had to water the flower pots! If she only eats canned food and you add extra water she probably doesn't drink much from the fountain.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she eats wet food twice a day and you also add water to it and she’s not showing any signs of dehydration, she’s fine. A lot of cats don’t like to drink water often if they get enough water from their food. The water in the cat fountain is probably evaporating mainly, especially since the constant circulation increases evaporation. If it’s more humid where you are in the summer it’s possible less water is evaporating now which would explain the change.

However if you’re going to the vet anyway it can’t hurt to mention it.
You must have been reading my mind! I was just thinking that, since the fountain is in the unairconditioned basement and thus, as you say, subject to (recently rather high) humidity - which we get LOTS of here in PA - I'm likely not seeing much evaporation and now suspect also that instead of her drinking from it these past months and longer - most of the loss was probably evaporation. I have been adding a good deal more extra water to both dry and wet food and will continue to do so until the appointment. If she gets a clean bill of health, then I can cut back again. She does seem absolutely fine otherwise (although I may be told she's a bit overweight) 🤭

Thanks so much for all the replies!