Isaderm Gel for Dogs :/

Nime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

My cat has scalding around his anus from diarrhea. I told the vet he waa in pain and and area around the area. She prescribed this gel. However it says it is for dogs. Has anyone used this in cats? Is it safe? Also it seems to be a steroid - is that safe? Or should I just put vaseline.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are a number of dog products that are used off label for cats. While I have not used Isaderm, I have used others for other reasons and no one became sick from them. If you had said that you had this sitting around and had used it on your dog, I would have said to ask the vet before you put it on the cat. However, the vet is the one who gave it to you so I am assuming that she knows if there is any other contraindications for your cat. Having said that, member of TCS have posted about using Isaderm on their cats for at least the last few years.

I recall your other posts and if your cat is as bad as you described, then vaseline may not do it....plus it is a petroleum product, etc. I am guessing that your cat may need the ingredients in Isaderm, meaning a short term use of a steriodal cream, in order to heal.

Dechra makes it and they are very accessible if you want to contact them directly for a reassurance. I call them frequently regarding my dog and they have always been helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are a number of dog products that are used off label for cats. While I have not used Isaderm, I have used others for other reasons and no one became sick from them. If you had said that you had this sitting around and had used it on your dog, I would have said to ask the vet before you put it on the cat. However, the vet is the one who gave it to you so I am assuming that she knows if there is any other contraindications for your cat. Having said that, member of TCS have posted about using Isaderm on their cats for at least the last few years.

I recall your other posts and if your cat is as bad as you described, then vaseline may not do it....plus it is a petroleum product, etc. I am guessing that your cat may need the ingredients in Isaderm, meaning a short term use of a steriodal cream, in order to heal.

Dechra makes it and they are very accessible if you want to contact them directly for a reassurance. I call them frequently regarding my dog and they have always been helpful.
Thanks so much I was so confused when I read that. Okay I understand now and feel better. I will contact the company. Thanks so much.