Is this okay?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We brought the new kitten home today - who is almost 9 weeks old. He had been eating dry food at his previous home, but I brought some home today (a different kind, he was eating Meow Mix formula for kittens) and I picked up Maximum brand at WalMart (the only place in town that I could get food) for kittens. He wont touch it! He's drinking water, but not eating, he hadn't eaten for about 3 hours since we brought him home.

I got out Harley's wet food for his dinner, and thought, well why not for the kitten? I put some on a plate, mashed it up good and stuck it in the microwave for about 10 seconds, so it was a little warm, not hot - and he ate it right up!

Now, my question, do they make wet food for kittens? Or is it usually made for all ages? I feed Harley the Meow Mix pouches, which don't have bad ingredients.

So, should I continue with the wet food? Or go back to the Meow Mix dry that he was eating before?

I just want to make sure he's eating properly.

Thank you!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs kitten food, or food for all ages, specifically. I personally like the Iams kitten pouches but they're a little expensive. It does have by-products but so do the other two you're considering. Definitely a kitten food, though.

Meow mix is really heavy on fish, so maybe your new kitten only likes fish flavors? The Iams kitten has fish meal in it (not a main ingredient, its mostly chicken)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
try to find a kitten food .. the meow mix pouches are all stage but kitten food is better...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason I gave him the wet food, was so he would have at least eaten something - I was getting really worried

I want to get him started on wet food - so maybe I'll go pick up some Iams ones tonight - I just want him to eat!!
I was just concerned that he hadn't eaten any of the dry - he ate just fine at his previous home, maybe I should get the Meow Mix, just so he's eating? I'd prefer him to eat a better brand that than, tho.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As long as the wet does not upset his stomach I don't think there should be a problem. You may want ot pick up a very small box of the dry meow mix to mix in with a quality kitten food to wean him from the junk to the good.

Yes, there is wet kitten food out there. Nutro, Chicken Soup, many brands that escape my memory right now.

Good luck on gettig him switched to a better food.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

As long as the wet does not upset his stomach I don't think there should be a problem. You may want ot pick up a very small box of the dry meow mix to mix in with a quality kitten food to wean him from the junk to the good.

Yes, there is wet kitten food out there. Nutro, Chicken Soup, many brands that escape my memory right now.

Good luck on gettig him switched to a better food.
Thank you! I won't be able to get to PetSmart or Petco til Monday, so until then, I'm stuck @ WalMart trying to find something he'll eat

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a cat isn't eating some kind of pet food is better than none. You don't have a grocery nearby, or is it one of those behemoth Walmarts (aren't they all) with the produce section even?

It's probably better to get what he was eating for dry and then once you can buy what you want to you can start mixing them together. For wet, get the best kitten food you can find at wal-mart (it's probably going to be either Iams or Friskies pouches, look at the ingredients) until you can get to petsmart.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thank you! I won't be able to get to PetSmart or Petco til Monday, so until then, I'm stuck @ WalMart trying to find something he'll eat
you might try mixing some of the wet with the good quality dry - that way, maybe he'd eat the dry.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think that whatever you can get is fine until you can find some kitten food. I would suggest Nutro kitten pouches because of the cost & the good ingredients. I never had any problems with them.

I feed Twitch, Lily, Ophelia, Damita, & Chico, who are all different ages, Meow Mix pouches, too. I would think that since the kitten is so young, kitten food would be best for his growing little body!

Oh yeah, good luck not getting lost in Wal Mart!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good choice, fairly new product. I have been using it for a few months and like the results. Meow Mix would be low on my choice of food for a kitten.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you try getting him a small bag of meow mix kitten that he is used too, and slowly mixing it up with the better brand of dry until he is eating something better. My last two came eating kitten chow.. so I know how it is.
For the wet you may have a hard time getting him to eat something better b/c you are serving harley meow mix wet, but I would try to give him a kitten wet anyway.. He may turn up his nose b/c he thinks the meow mix is better.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John went and got a small bag of the meow mix dry - and he's been eating fine!

Once he gets eating good, I'm going to start mixing in the better brand.

Thank goodness tomorrow is Monday and I can go to PetSmart!!