Is there a slow feeder bowl for a raw meat diet? chunks only?

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1-yr-old cat is loving her raw meat diet, but will only eat chunks, nothing ground. She bolts her food, and throws up often. I can't use the standard slow feeder bowls as the chunks stick out and she just carries on gobbling. Has anyone had this issue?

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats love eating meat chunks too. Throwing up after eating them, though, is something they did a lot before they finally got used to it.

Hate to say this, but your best bet is to break up their food into as many meals as you can manage - three or four meals at minimum. Then you have two choices from there. First, just wait it out until they learn how to eat meat chunks. Second, cut up their chunks into smaller pieces until the vomiting stops, then gradually increase the size of the pieces. Eating large pieces is a skill they have to learn, they need to chew off pieces with their side teeth. My cats also like to grab chunks and drag them onto the floor to eat. Maybe feed them chunks on a mat or a large flat plate, with the pieces spread out.

Not sure why they're refusing the ground food....maybe there's an ingredient in there they don't like?