Is she a Russian Blue or just half?

amybeth4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little girl has every Russian Blue quality...except for the eyes.  Are there truly any RBs with yellow eyes in adulthood (she just turned two) or do her yellow eyes mean she's probably just half?  :)  THANKS!!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't answer your questions. Just wanted to say she has a sweet looking face. Her eyes are wonderful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amybeth4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Blueyedgirl thanks SO much.   :)  Is that your gorgeous one as your avatar?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What breed a cat is, is not what look alike she is, but what ancestry it has.  Ancestry as proven by suitable papers (compare with birth certificate) or at least, proven history.

So, here in West, there are perhaps just 3% of pure bred cats and fresh mixes together.  The rest are cats from the normal, unregulated cat population.   Unlike with dogs, where people mostly try and breed dogs into some sort of breed or at last type, even those who dont bother about pedigree papers.

Cats by tradition do multiply by themselves. The "home breeder" usually just lets his female out.

So, there in the cat population the genes DO floats around and combine almost totally freely.  Now and then giving extra interesting results, not seldom giving look alikes.*

Especielly as it does happens now and then, some purebreed leaves his offspring into the general population.

Also, it is a interesting pastime to speculate, what breed a cat is similiar too.   And sometimes they are real look alikes.*

So to your questions:  Adult RB shall have green eyes.  Although I suspect you can find one or another of pet quality having yellow eyes.  Or if you wish,  a RB with papers, history, champion parents and everything, having yellow eyes, will be immediately deemed as to be of pet quality and probably not used in further breeding and of course, no Showing, not as a RB, but possibly in the Pet Class..

If your "liebling"  is a full  RB or just half is thus not decided by the eyes alone!*

So what she is, is a pretty Domestic Short Hair, blue in color.   A russian blue look alike if you so want to describe her.

*These look alikes  ARE sometimes, although rarely, let in into the breed world.

For example, there is something called for novice.

If two cat judges deem such a wannabe as a Russian Blue of good quality, she gets a temporary pedigree certificate.

The process is renewed in four generations as the descendants shall participate in Shows and be judged there!  First the fifth generations again deemed in Shows as excellent, gets a fully normal Pedigree certificate.

This Novice admission is NOT common - in Europe more often than USA - but it is a nice pedagogice example of how difficult it can be.

Also,  most kittens and grand kittens of our Novice never go on with breeding - just the best one.

But, I know the mother cat of  one distinguished Czechish cat judge, did began her carrieer as grand old lady of the czechish Russian blues as such a novice.

Good luck!

amybeth4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fascinating.  Thanks so much, Stefan.  Since she was a shelter cat, I'll never know her lineage.  Maybe somewhere along the way there was an RB in her family.  She just looks amazingly like all the ones i've seen (except for the eyes).

Boy based on what you say, there are a LOT of people out there calling their DSHes "Russian Blues."  :)

Amy

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blueyedgirl thanks SO much.   :)  Is that your gorgeous one as your avatar?
Yes, that is Muffin. He was fourteen years old when we lost him in November. He had cancer surgery last year and then the cancer came back in May. He was a brave boy who fought a good fight. We miss him terribly. We do have one remaining cat now, a calico named Mattie. I am going to change my avatar sometime soon and you can see her then.

amybeth4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww I'm sorry.  Such  a sweet face.  I still miss my sphynx who died almost 10 years ago.  I still think about him.  He was my cat soulmate.  Extraordinarily needy and loving.  Couldn't NOT sit on my lep.  He sat on strangers' laps.  He didn't care.  It was human contact and that's all he thrived on.  <3

renstwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My "Russian blue"! Also shelter acquired.

Enjoy your beautiful gray darling. I read that gray/blue cats could also be called maltese. It sounded fancier so I called her my maltese queen!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I share StefanZ's  view of pedigree status being one of documented genetic heritage and not one of appearance although cats can have a very strong resemblance to a particular recognised pedigree type.  

Of course all pedigree types are variations of basic cat features only they have been selected and sometimes bred to emphasise certain qualities such as the requirement for Russian Blue cats to have green eyes, silver sheen and double coat.

As another lover of blue / grey cats I think your little girl is gorgeous, and she has a lovely expression.  On the question of Russian Blue I do agree with Stefanz, but having looked up the definition of Maltese cat, Rens Twin, that is a great find, I do believe your cats are Maltese!  Although not listed in recognised cat breeds it appears to be the accepted description for an all blue / grey cat coat, and I think you are absolutely right when you say it sounds fancier than shelter acquired; actually it sounds fancier than a whole lot of things and I shall use it from now on!  Grey kitties deserve a fittingly equisite name and now I find they have one. I am very happy. 

amybeth4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All, this whole MALTESE thing is fascinating.  It's exactly what Graycie looks like, along with MOST of the cats on the I Love my Russian Blue Facebook page!  Everyone posts pix of their RB and maybe one in five actually has the green eyes.  The rest look exactly like Graycie who I'll just now call a "Maltese," which is just a fancy way of saying "gray DSH."  Ahahahaha!

I'd LOVE to call her an RB but the eyes have it!  :D  (Which she's hiding here so you don't see they're yellow.)

renstwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol. I'm glad you both like my Maltese theme! I will forever have a soft spot for these beautifully colored cats. I will miss my Maltese queen! I hope your sweeties are as loving and gentle as my girl was. :rbheart:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Well my boy is definitely loving, and he can be very gentle when he wants to be.... 
   Your Maltese girl definitely looks and sounds like a queen. 

amybeth4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweet?  YES.

Loving?  Eh.

:D

babycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beautiful cat! I have one that is quite similar. I'd like to post a new thread w pics of her and another cat but I'm new here and I'm having a hard time finding the new thread option. Can anyone help? Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Beautiful cat! I have one that is quite similar. I'd like to post a new thread w pics of her and another cat but I'm new here and I'm having a hard time finding the new thread option. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Its easy.   Look and try, and you shall find!   The icons for starting new thread are just above the forum...

Im not good at explaining, but it works quite intuitively.  Even the pics, the little icon in the post with like a postcard, middle to the right.

Welcome!