Is my Ragdoll a purebred

drakie58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought my cat from a breeder 2 months ago. He was 5 months old. He was sold as a purebred but without papers. I have had many people tell me he is not  pure Ragdoll. Most people tell me his fur is too short but is getting longer and the other thing is he only has one dark ear . The other is white but it looks to me in the few weeks it is getting darker on the edges. One concern I certainly think I have paid way too much for a mixed breed cat certainly if he was sold on the basis of being purebred.

I have done a bit of research on the internet and there is so much conflicting information about Ragdolls some say one thing yet others say the opposite. Well anyway I hope a Ragdoll breeder can set me straight.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They say there is something called for solid color ragdoll.  I dont know nothing of them, but my guess is he may be such a one.  Apparently no typical ragdoll.   :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While he's a bit fuzzier than most shorthairs, he's not longhaired (you can tell by the tail. . .even if he was shedding his tail would still have longer fur than that) Which means he can't be purebred :/. Because 2 longhaired cats can only have longhaired kittens.

Unfortunately there are a lot of unscrupulous breeders. If you want to be sure of getting a purebred, you need to get a registered cat from a reputable breeder. If they don't have papers there's a good reason why.

He's a gorgeous kitty! I would guess his mother is purebred Ragdoll and she either got out and bred with a random cat, or bred with a male of a different breed (if the breeder keeps more than one breed). Maybe a Siamese.

Last edited:

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I do not believe he is a pure bred ragdoll. The coloration in ragdolls can be pretty much anything, but the coat is what is wrong. Ragdolls, by breed standard, have a medium to long coat that is almost flowy. At his age his hair will not get much longer than it is currently, if anything most cats lose fuzz as they get older.
Sadly some people love to scam money out of loving pet parents who just want a certain breed of animal, none the less he is a beautiful boy

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont think he is at all, but he does look like a very sweet little kitty :) Hopefully you weren't scammed out of too much money for him.. sad to think people lie about animals just to make a profit.