Is my new shelter kitten part oriental shorthair?

stmcg14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I just adopted Pipsqueak on Saturday. He's my first cat and I've never paid much attention to cat breeds before. A few people commented that he looks part siamese which led me to look up the various kinds of cat and I now suspect that he is part oriental shorthair. He is long and skinny, has a very delicate face and barely sheds at all. He is also very curious and vocal. It all fits but I thought I'd get consensus. Is he part siamese or oriental?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hello all! I just adopted Pipsqueak on Saturday. He's my first cat and I've never paid much attention to cat breeds before. A few people commented that he looks part siamese which led me to look up the various kinds of cat and I now suspect that he is part oriental shorthair. He is long and skinny, has a very delicate face and barely sheds at all. He is also very curious and vocal. It all fits but I thought I'd get consensus. Is he part siamese or oriental?
Modern siameses and modern orientals are very near to each other, they get also often crossbreeding, etc...

So for example in FIFE, if there happens to be born a point in a litter of Orientals, he may get registered as siamese.

And vice versa.   If by some reasone, there is born a non pointed siamese, he gets registered as Oriental.

This is not exactly so in the  USA based associations, and thus, there IS the peculiar animal of a pointed Oriental fully possible...

Still, its two siblings breeds however you looks.

Thus, a somewhat Oriental look alike may as well have had a siamese as granddad, it doesnt need to be an Oriental...  The practical result will be exactly the same. Throw in a tabby  too somewhere, and a mom carrying white,  and voilá, we get a copy of your Pipsqueek...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stmcg14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a good point! I hadn't really considered that "oriental shorthair" essentially just means "part siamese, part something else."  

So I guess I'll just go forward saying that he's got a siamese parent or grandparent. I think that'll make more sense to people than trying to explain what oriental shorthairs are in the first place. 

Thanks!