Is My Cat Possibly Pregnant??

Casey8671

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really need some advice, my female had her first season on 3rd July, she got out the 5th and 6th and I saw a male mounting her, through it always looked like they didn’t actually mate? He would mount her for a few seconds and then get of but there was none of that hissing or the female attaking after she just went back for more? But she hasn’t come back into season again since. She’s showing many signs of pregnancy; eating more, VERY VERY needy and affectionate, constantly meowing at us for cuddles and attention, at any chance she’s looking in new cupboards or small spaces, and sleeping more. She would be about 6 weeks if she is. So far though she’s had no nipple changes, I’ve read online a few females don’t pink up untill last minute but I just don’t know! She’s a very lanky slim cat so she would be able to hide a kitten or too I think, she has a slightly rounded belly but nothing that stands out. I’m stressing out as I can’t tell if she truly is?? Does it sound like she is pregnant or is this a false pregnancy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Casey8671

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since she had contact with an intact male while in heat, she is probably pregnant.

How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?
Thank you. Yes that’s how I’ve been looking at it. I just don’t get why she’s had no nipple changes and isn’t really showing a pregnant belly?? I guess if it’s her first litter she may only have a couple? But I still thaught it would Showa bit? And I can’t feel anything different about her tummy either? Doesn’t feel hard and I haven’t been able to feel any kittens. Not that I know what I’m looking for anyway

Casey8671

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is your cat?

Can you keep her 100% inside now?
She is almost a year. Yes she’s inside and kept inside. We did want a litter from her but not as soon as this.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is most likely pregnant. Please switch her to a kitten dry food, which she should have unlimited access to. You should also be giving her meals of wet kitten food throughout the day. She should eat as much as she wants.

Re: wanting one litter from a cat, I realize it's too late in this case, and I don't want to lecture. I will just add that it is an old wive's tale that your cat is better off for having kittens. Cats have no desire to have babies or to be mothers. Mating, pregnancy, and birth are all risks to your cat's health. I would recommend that you build up an emergency fund just in case something goes wrong with mom or kittens. You will also want to establish a relationship with a vet now, in case it's needed later.

Please keep asking your questions!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the idea of having an emergency fund. She is way too young to be having babies and may not know what to do. Plus all those rounds of vaccines and dewormings they will need too.

Also I would highly recommend having her tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS as they are both transferred through mating and since she mated with a random cat it would be the responsible thing to do to ensure her babies you rehome don't have it.

Casey8671

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is most likely pregnant. Please switch her to a kitten dry food, which she should have unlimited access to. You should also be giving her meals of wet kitten food throughout the day. She should eat as much as she wants.

Re: wanting one litter from a cat, I realize it's too late in this case, and I don't want to lecture. I will just add that it is an old wive's tale that your cat is better off for having kittens. Cats have no desire to have babies or to be mothers. Mating, pregnancy, and birth are all risks to your cat's health. I would recommend that you build up an emergency fund just in case something goes wrong with mom or kittens. You will also want to establish a relationship with a vet now, in case it's needed later.

Please keep asking your questions!
Thank you for your reply. Yes my cats are on kitten dry food and already have unlimited access to it when ever they like. I shall introduce some wet meat too. Yes I’m fully aware she’s too young as I said this wasn’t planned and I feel aweful if she turns out not to be pregnant that’s great! But is she is them we will sort that out. Yes I know, wanting a litter was not for her as such, I have family and friends who would like a litter from her and then she will be spayed. My vets are already aware of her possible pregnancy and have given me advice on birth and stated cats are very efficient at mothering and 90% of the time know what to do and told me not to interfere. But they also explained the circumstances in Which I should intervene if needed, so I feel fully prepared :)

Casey8671

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I second the idea of having an emergency fund. She is way too young to be having babies and may not know what to do. Plus all those rounds of vaccines and dewormings they will need too.

Also I would highly recommend having her tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS as they are both transferred through mating and since she mated with a random cat it would be the responsible thing to do to ensure her babies you rehome don't have it.
Thanks for your eeply,
I’m fully aware she is to young. Everyone makes mistakes and she got out. And my vets are fully aware of the situation and have given me lots of advice about the birth but assured me she will know what to do and not to interfere. But also made me aware of the circumstances in which I should help her out or call them. So I’m fully prepared. Thanks for your concern :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. Yes my cats are on kitten dry food and already have unlimited access to it when ever they like. I shall introduce some wet meat too. Yes I’m fully aware she’s too young as I said this wasn’t planned and I feel aweful if she turns out not to be pregnant that’s great! But is she is them we will sort that out. Yes I know, wanting a litter was not for her as such, I have family and friends who would like a litter from her and then she will be spayed. My vets are already aware of her possible pregnancy and have given me advice on birth and stated cats are very efficient at mothering and 90% of the time know what to do and told me not to interfere. But they also explained the circumstances in Which I should intervene if needed, so I feel fully prepared :)
I'm glad that you have a support system in place! Do you have other cats that aren't spayed and neutered?

It would be great if you encouraged your friends and family who are looking for kittens to foster and get involved in local rescues. There are so, so many kittens and cats in need of homes. I hope you will have all the kittens spayed and neutered before they go to their new homes, and in the future, I hope fostering can play a role in your life!

Casey8671

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since these replies, my females nipples did pink up, they were white before and now more of a pink, some nipples darker than others. But today she has woken up with signs of heat. It is possible to go into heat while this far pregnant, or is she not even pregnant?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should take her to the vet for an X-ray or ultrasound. It could be a false pregnancy.