Is my cat part Bengal?

allaboutcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought my cat from a non breeder who claims she is a Bengal, I believed her since the mom cat has rosettes and dad cat has marbles. All their kittens are marbled or dotted but 2 of them were Lynx point with turquoise eyes! My kitten looks like this:

She is so wild and always climbs the pine trees behind our house! She also once brought parts of a bird back to our house and we found torn out feathers in our backyard! She certainly acts like a Bengal but she doesn't have the pattern of a Bengal. Her tail is also slightly shorter than normal and distinctly rounded at the end. Can you please tell me if she's a Bengal mix of some kind?
Thank you so much!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her marbles / classical tabby pattern, is of the bengal type.  And the body type dosnt deny this.  So if someone sold her to you saying she has some bengal ancestry, I would believe this, I would even second this statement.

But you want to know if she is a bengal for real...   Did you get papers?   Are the breeder with some serious association alike Tica or CFA  (Im not sure if CFA accepts bengals, but you get my idea).

Let me say so: Lets for the sake of discussion say, the parents are real bengals.  But a serious breeder would hardly use this combination.   A rosette - spotted bengal, and a classic - marble bengal, destroying both these looks in kittens?    It took many generations to build up these refined bengal patterns, and ruin this in one or at most, two generations??

They carrying points genes, both of them, is not encouraging either.  Nothing wrong on snow bengals  (the pointed bengals are often whitish, and called for snow...).  But a purebred cat isnt not supposed to carry different lines...

So, I strongly suspect its a BYB breeder of one or another sort.

So this boils down to the price.  If you were charges full price as for a bengal - you did a bad business here.  But as a nice consolation, you got surely a good friend.  That matters too, you know!

If you payed  as for a very nice moggie - you did well, and congrats to this beautiful little cat.   Im sure you will have many happy years together.

If you think she is a shade too lively, get her a companion cat, whom will have merry wrestlings and chases with her...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

allaboutcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Stefan :)
Thanks for your detailed reply! I paid 600 for her, I don't think it's too bad is it? I have a domestic tabby and a chihuahua as well so they keep each other company with lots of wrestling and play biting! I was just concerned about her patter being the same as a lot of domestic marbled kitties... Her behaviors are certainly those of a Bengal so I was confused! Oh they are called snow bengals haha my bad :p thank you so much again, really appreciate it!

Winnie