Is it normal for a cat to have "concave" (sunken in)

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sides right below her spine and in front of her hind legs? Cammie doesn't look thin per sae, except for her sides right near the top of her body and in front of both hind flanks. When you look at her from the top, her sides look caved in. I cannot feel or see ribs or her spinal column. Just her sunken sides. She also growls when she eats sometimes but has shown no overt aggression, just growls/mumblings almost to herself while she eats.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this growling new? If so, I would urge you to take your cat in to the vet for a check-up. Growling while they eat is not a good sign unless another kitty is nearby and they feel threatened that their food is going to be taken from them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
in Cammie's room and also Lily has been lurking and growling around the bathroom door. That is probably the reason Cammie is getting a little defensive of her food. Time will tell. I am dreading introducing them, but I know eventually I will have to try. I still am not sure about her sunken in sides in her flank area. I suppose she could be very thin and only show it in that way, but it still looks very strange when looking at her from the top down!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, yes that is pretty much normal if they smell another cat they will get possessive about their food, especially if it is tasty. But growling with no other cat nearby can be quite serious, and be dental disease or something worse. I merged your two threads to keep it all in one place too.