Is Chiba a long haired cat?

renaru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is my baby.

She is extremely soft and she sheds like crazy even though I brush her. Each hair is about an inch and a half long but she doesn't fit my mind's idea of a long haired cat. Is she? Also is she just considered a calico by color?
Thanks for reading.

Oh and can someone tell me the difference between a calico and a tortie?

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Awwwww   she is very cute! 

She is a shorthair.    1.5 inches is longer than some shorthair cats but still not outside the norm for a shorthair cat.   It looks like she has a very plush coat.  probably a good deal of soft undercoat. 

She  has a coat pattern that would be called Calico by some people ( mostly in North America) and other people would call this Tortie and White    

A Tortoiseshell  ( Tortie) means the cat has a coat with both patches of black-based color and red-based  color,  due to having one gene for Red and one gene for "not Red" ( which defaults to black-based color.)  

Tortoiseshell and White is when they have both red-based  pigment and black based pigment and also have white patches.   

A "Calico" is like a certain sub-category of Tortoiseshell and White  where there is quite a lot of white on the body,  and the black and red  areas are arranged in fairly big , distinct patches rather than all mottled up together in tiny bits,  like some torties are. .

Very pretty kitty! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renaru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :) I appreciate the info. She is very plush. One of the softest kitties I've felt. I thought she was short haired but keep being told she is long. Ha now I can tell everyone I was right!