Introducing Kittens

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm adopting (well, foster to adopt) two 8 week old kittens from separate litters. That's because the one my hubby and I fell in love with came in as a single stray. They're currently living separately, with the other kitten living with a littermate who's slated to go to a new home next week. They've been introduced at the shelter and got along pretty well. So what should I do when I bring them home?

The "cat lady" at the shelter recommended keeping them in separate rooms for a couple of days and then introducing them. And they're getting spayed the day before I get them. Is it better to keep them separate, or does misery truly love company? The one is more used to her littermates than people (also a recently-found stray) and I'm worried that she'll be terrified on her own. She's pretty shy and submissive.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

I'm adopting (well, foster to adopt) two 8 week old kittens
And they're getting spayed the day before I get them.
IMO, they'll still be in recovery mode from the surgery. It is better they are together during this crucial period. They're only 2 months old anyway (wow, talking about early spay!) and would probably enjoy playing together than fighting once they are back to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! That's what I had been thinking but I didn't want to stress them too much.

The ages are estimates because they're strays, but they're both just over the minimum 2 lbs to spay/neuter.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello again!

I would recommend keeping them in separate rooms for a few days until you know the stitches have healed enough that in case they decide to play, they won't hurt one another.

I don't think you'll have much problem introducing them, because they're so young, and they're used to being around other kitties. At that age, they don't have much of a problem being introduced to ANYTHING, and they haven't quite decided they don't like company, or some such. At that age, kitties are normally quite excited to have company and someone else to play with, so I wouldn't worry too much about having to introduce them in any certain way.

I think your setup will be quite wonderful...