Introducing A New Cat To The Home.

Mikenike33224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently decided to adopt a second cat. I already have one at home, and I have been going through the process of introducing them to each other.

Just to give some background information the cat that I already had is named Mipha ~10-12 months. The new cat I have is named Gwynevere she is ~3 years old.

It has been about a week since I got Gwynevere, and I started it with keeping her in her own room with the door shut and with meal time I had the bowls on either side of the door slowly getting closer and closer to the door. Well they can now safely eat with either one right up on the door and no one hisses at all.

So I decided to try bringing them into the same room. I put them on opposite ends of the same room. They stared at each other a bit but Gwynevere didnt seem to care much about Mipha being in the room she was walking around fine and didnt care much. Mipha would hiss if she got a little too close but it never came to blows. I tried bringing out a toy to distract Mipha a bit and to give the positive re-enforcement that when Gwynevere is out of her room it was play time. They were awesome when the toy was out. They would even get pretty close to one another and there wouldn't be any issues... until the toy stopped moving then Gwynevere would growl and Mipha would hiss. This lasted ~20 minutes before I ended it.

So Im sort of confused on where to go from here. I am scared to just let Gwynevere run around the house because I dont want one of them getting hurt in a fight.

Any suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: You have certainly come to the right place for help and support. If you just adopted Gwynevere I would not let her have free run of the house either. Have you tried switching rooms with her and your kitten, Mipha? Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you some great Articles to read and I thought I would add one more: Introducing Cats To Cats Remember it takes patience and time, there's no textbook answer for how long it will take for your cat and kitten to become good friends but I'm hopeful they will be cuddling up with one another in the next few weeks or months. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mikenike33224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: You have certainly come to the right place for help and support. If you just adopted Gwynevere I would not let her have free run of the house either. Have you tried switching rooms with her and your kitten, Mipha? Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you some great Articles to read and I thought I would add one more: Introducing Cats To Cats Remember it takes patience and time, there's no textbook answer for how long it will take for your cat and kitten to become good friends but I'm hopeful they will be cuddling up with one another in the next few weeks or months. :crossfingers:
I have tried switching the rooms, and while Gwynevere will walk around and be completely care free in the rest of the house Mipha finds a corner of the room and sits there completely refusing to move no matter what I do. It was so bad she wouldnt come to meal time. So I have kept them in their respective rooms. Ill read those links thank you so much! ^^

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mikenike33224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

It does sound like you're on the right track with the kitty socializing. Hopefully before long Mipha and Gwynevere will be best buds. :catlove:

Here's one more TCS article that may be helpful:
The Multi-cat Household

:goodluck: