introducing a dog

martyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Eeva, that is encouraging (although weeks seem like a long time right now...)

Does anyone have thoughts about letting the cat outside when she is still a bit stressed about this? she's been going outside for almost a year and always comes and checks in with me. I olny let her out for a few hours a day and she always comes back, but I am a little nervous that she won't want to come back inthis house now.

mishon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be a little nervous about letting her out. I had a cat a few years ago, who did not like the fact that I got a new kitten. When I let her out, she would stay gone for much longer than before, and never seemed to want to come back in the house. When she did, she would hiss and growl at the kitten for a few minutes, then go back to the door and demand to go back outside. She enden up gettting hit by a car three months later. She was found a few blocks away from my home, farther than I thought she would go. I would have never known what happened to her, if someone had not contacted me. A lady saw the body, and noticed she was wearing an I.D. tag, so she called me.

I think it may be wise to keep her indoors for a while, the stress at home may cause her to wander farther than usual. When she seems a bit happier, let her out, and reward her tremendously with treats EVERY time she returns.

martyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mishon - my vet gave me similar advice today. so although it is very hard (she is dying to get out and very sneaky) I will keep her in. I would absolutely hate for anything to happen to her.

I LOVE that photo of your dog and kitty so sweet - I hope mine get to that stage one of these days.
Marty

martyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well it's been five days now and we are making progress. The cat is much calmer and even tries to play with Bogey - they chase each other around and she watches with interest when he plays with his toys. I'll probly keep her in a couple more days to be safe, but it is going well. I'm attaching a couple of pictures to show you how its going. thanks! for the support and ideas.
Marty

martyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is another pic of the kitty's preferred distance from the puppy - but you can see she's dying to play.

martyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so, it has been a week now since I brought puppy home. sumalee (my kitty) now thinks I brought him home to entertain her (I think). She is actually playing with him a little - they chase each other around with kitty always going quick for the high places. she is way more interested in the puppy than in me!

I was afraid to let her outside but this moring she got the door open herself and escaped. Well, I think my worries are over because she came back frequently to visit and play with puppy in the yard and when I got home later, she had come into her bed on her own.

Happy, happy

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marty- is your Siamese Princess spayed? If you said she was and I missed it, I am sorry- but if she isn't, letting her outside is dangerous right now because the breeding season is starting.
Again, if she is spayed that's great, I just can't keep up reading all the threads anymore...

martyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Hissy,
I wouldn't let her out if she wasn't spayed. I've been a pretty responsible pet owner for going on 50 years now. do you run into people here that do that?
I suppose there are lots of them out there. anyway, I hope you can tell from the great lengths I went to introduce my two babies that I am a good pet owner.
Marty

P.S. did you like the pictures?