Integrating A Kitten With Overly Fearful Resident

twinkles21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’re in the process of integrating a new kitten, “Narya” (about 5 weeks old) and we’re still in the swap scents phase. The one resident cat (Destiny) has taken to it fabulously. So much so, that she’s really trying to get into the Narya’s safe room and is getting cranky with me when I won’t let her in.

The other (Noriel) not so much, she’s not aggressive, just very fearful and has a very strong ‘flight’ response. I would calmly bring out a sock that I’ve rubbed Narya down with and just place it randomly and when Noriel finds it, she skidders out of the room so fast, like someone just tried to kill her!

I thought she would eventually get braver, at least get to the point of being curious but it’s the same thing everytime. I just bought some feliway diffusers, so hopefully they will help, but is there anything else I’m missing that would help? Any advice for scaredy cats?

If it helps, Noriel came to us an orphaned baby. She's been with us as an indoor cat her whole life. We have a pretty predictable schedule, rarely get visitors and no kids. So our home is always really calm. It's not like she was ever feral or came from an abusive home?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am assuming Narya is also an orphaned baby? She is so young. I wouldn't integrate her with your resident cats until she is started on her vaccines and tested for FIV/FeLV first assuming your resident cats are up to date on THEIR vaccines. But all this introduction takes time. Having a new baby in the house might even help Noriel come out of her shell a little. Always have a place for her to escape to or climb up on to get away from the baby or anything that freaks her out. You could also try Feliway and calming collars. I have also used a little pure vanilla extract on the cats so they all smell alike.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vanilla extract works very well in most cases.

BOY, Naria is young. That may actually work in your favor in the long run. Just remember, you can't go any faster than the most reluctant cat. You might allow Destiny a well supervised meet-and-greet fairly soon. She seems to want to know this kitten, and may even take over mothering her.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen