Infectious Anemia (mycoplasma)

GooseTheCat11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! My cat Goose seemed lethargic for a couple weeks, then suddenly could barely stand and wouldn’t eat (except for litter).

I brought him to the emergency vet. He had a blood transfusion and came home with 2 weeks worth of enrofloaxin (baytril) and a month of predisolone. *also cerenia and anti nausea meds.

By day 4 into meds he seemed to be getting better. Now at day 12 of meds, he seems exhausted again. He will eat and drink pretty normally, but he is now licking rocks in the garage and seems to be eating litter again :(. PLEASE PLEASE help and advise. Anything you suggest or experience to share.

He’s 11 and an indoor/outdoor cat. Love of my life.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hello
May I ask, what are you feeding him? Are you removing the litter and using a different type that he won't eat? Have you talked to the vet again and described what he's doing?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am sorry that Goose's condition is what brought you here. Below are recent threads in which members posted about anemia related topics.
Search Results for Query: infectious anemia

Anemia in cats is related to the underlying cause/diagnosis. This article gives an overview of the condition; not every word of it would apply to your cat, but it might be helpful.
Anemia In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GooseTheCat11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi ! Right now he will only eat the fancy feast gravy lovers even though we have about 4 wet and drys for him to choose from. He has his follow up on the 13th. The vet wants to check his red blood levels after he’s off antibiotics for a few days (blood count was 12 when brought in and then 19 after transfusion then 22 when released to me. Normal is 25-45). Please suggest a litter you think he don’t won’t eat :(. Thank you !!

QUOTE="Furballsmom, post: 5522611, member: 10012768"]
Hello
May I ask, what are you feeding him? Are you removing the litter and using a different type that he won't eat? Have you talked to the vet again and described what he's doing?
[/QUOTE]

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is more than likely eating litter because of the nutritional deficiency caused by the anemia. The solution may not be in changing litter, although I am certainly not telling you not to try that if you think it would help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Right now he will only eat the fancy feast gravy lovers even though we have about 4 wet and drys for him to choose from.
I can't offer much given the good information you have already gotten, but if he is not eating enough of the FF Gravy Lovers, you can always supplement with some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut). Most cats like them, even those feeling 'under the weather'. They are obviously not 'complete' cat food, but a source of extra calories. Depending on what you buy a 2.5 oz jar can be anywhere from 50 to 90 calories.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Please suggest a litter you think he don’t won’t eat
Hi --If you're currently using clumping litter, can you switch to a nonclumping brand that he'll still find acceptable to use for his business? If he still is looking for something and ends up eating a nonclumping, nonscented/fragrance free type of litter, it hopefully will cause less issues than the clumping clay litters. (I'm guessing but I am wondering if in fact you're using a clumping clay litter that it's the bentonite clay he's after.)

What about something like this;
Purina Yesterday's News Non Clumping Paper Cat Litter, Softer Texture Unscented Cat Litter

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GooseTheCat11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you ! I will look for one of those and give it a try.
QUOTE="Furballsmom, post: 5522657, member: 10012768"]
Hi --If you're currently using clumping litter, can you switch to a nonclumping brand that he'll still find acceptable to use for his business? If he still is looking for something and ends up eating a nonclumping, nonscented/fragrance free type of litter, it hopefully will cause less issues than the clumping clay litters.

What about something like this;
Purina Yesterday's News Non Clumping Paper Cat Litter, Softer Texture Unscented Cat Litter
[/QUOTE]

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I got to thinking, you might ask your vet if there's a supplement or something that you could give him in his food that could help so he's not feeling so lacking that he's licking rocks and such not.