Increased drinking+ urine

AnniePT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi fellow cat lovers!

I noticed my female cat has increased her water intake, she drank around 500ml in 2 and half days. She has also started peeing more as expected. From twice a day to once every 3 to 5 hours. Other than that i do not notice any kind of change in her behaviour, she eats, sleeps and plays the same. From what i saw, she does not strain to pee, and she makes around a pea or a marble size of urine every time. Is this normal or should i worry? She is 2 years old and her diet is dry food for sterelized cats.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: And, such tiny amounts of pee each time would also suggest a possible infection brewing. It might not be that she is straining but going more frequently and only being able to expel such small amounts sounds like she has a sense of urgency, which can also be a sign of a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnniePT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She might have an infection, that can increase drinking. Are you able to tale her to your vet?
Yeah, I was able to make an appointment, but only for Friday.. That's why I was trying to understand if I should look for another vet sooner. She does seem ok, so i am quite unsure. She did get an infection some months ago, but then I noticed because she was going to the litter box, sratch and not do anything, she did this frequently so I went to the vet with her asap. But now i am not sure if I should go asap or wait for Friday. I am currently working from home so I am monitoring her water intake as well as pee frequency. Today she already did 4 pees since 6 am, it is now 19:30 here.

AnniePT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah: And, such tiny amounts of pee each time would also suggest a possible infection brewing. It might not be that she is straining but going more frequently and only being able to expel such small amounts sounds like she has a sense of urgency, which can also be a sign of a UTI.
Yeah, I am finding the small amounts a bit strange, her usual is more than that. Right now she takes less than 10secs in the litter box.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might be as simple as asking the vet if a vet tech can take urine on a no appt. basis. In and out as soon as a vet tech is available. They can then run the urinalysis and call you with the results. And, if you are willing to pay the extra for a urine culture if they find bacteria in her urine, then let them know that. If they find something, you probably can start treatment while waiting for your vet appt. later this week.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you collect her pee? That way you could just drop it off and they can test it before Friday. I just follow my cats around with a pee collector cup they use for people. Or any type of clean dish will do.

AnniePT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you collect her pee? That way you could just drop it off and they can test it before Friday. I just follow my cats around with a pee collector cup they use for people. Or any type of clean dish will do.
I have no idea how to do it, but will look it up online! Thanks for the suggestion!

AnniePT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will call tomorrow to another vet, see if I can book an appointment for tomorrow. I want to make sure my baby girl is ok, don't want her to be in any kind of pain! Better safe than sorry, considering she had an infection 6 months or so ago, I read online that it's very likely that the infection will reaper within 1 year, so I really think I should go asap. Thank you guys for your advice!

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You just watch her until she goes to the litter box to pee and put the container under her butt to pee in it. They do have "stone" type things that you put in a clean litter box so that way you can pour it out of the litter box but I didn't want to spend the money for them. I've always just collected pee from my dogs and cats this way. Good luck :)