inactive kitten

azm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im a nervous and over protective new kitten "mom"... My little Tuesday is a little rambunctious terror -- she runs and jumps and is everything a little kitten should be, but last night when I got home from work she didnt feel like playing and just wanted to cuddle, which was very nice, but seemed strange. She also likes to keep me up at night with all her playing, but last night she just slept next to me the whole night. Today she seems incredibly low energy as well. If she were not 9 weeks old, then I would be less concerned, and the change to inactivity was so abrupt that it seems like something is wrong! Am I being paranoid? She just got some shots last friday (almost a week ago), could that have anything to do with it? She also hasn't eaten as much today, but seems to be having regular "movements".
All she wants to do is cuddle, and seems very tired - otherwise she has no outward signs of being ill. What could be wrong?

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by azm

Im a nervous and over protective new kitten "mom"... My little Tuesday is a little rambunctious terror -- she runs and jumps and is everything a little kitten should be, but last night when I got home from work she didnt feel like playing and just wanted to cuddle, which was very nice, but seemed strange. She also likes to keep me up at night with all her playing, but last night she just slept next to me the whole night. Today she seems incredibly low energy as well. If she were not 9 weeks old, then I would be less concerned, and the change to inactivity was so abrupt that it seems like something is wrong! Am I being paranoid? She just got some shots last friday (almost a week ago), could that have anything to do with it? She also hasn't eaten as much today, but seems to be having regular "movements".
All she wants to do is cuddle, and seems very tired - otherwise she has no outward signs of being ill. What could be wrong?
I would take her to the vet...There are many questions...
How long have you had her, does she go outside, where did you get her from, could she have gotten into anything in the house, has she been to a vet yet?????

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because of her age, I would take her in . If you are that worried about her, then trust your instincts and get her checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the reply...

I have had her for 2 weeks, and she was just at the vet's last friday. They told me she was in perfect health and kept saying how lucky I was to have found such a healthy kitten (who I got from a family friend). She isn't allowed outside, and I definitely tried to kitten-proof my room, but I may have missed something. do you think she may have eaten something bad?

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by azm

thanks for the reply...

I have had her for 2 weeks, and she was just at the vet's last friday. They told me she was in perfect health and kept saying how lucky I was to have found such a healthy kitten (who I got from a family friend). She isn't allowed outside, and I definitely tried to kitten-proof my room, but I may have missed something. do you think she may have eaten something bad?
Maybe...but unsure I would get her to a vet to be on the safe side
Any voimiting or diarrhea? Eating or rinking? Have any house plants?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Again trust your instincts- get her in and get her checked. Better safe than sorry- even though some kittens do recharge by sleeping a lot- it is always better to check it out when they are so young. And if the tom was an outside stray- who knows what might have been passed along?

azm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
her bowel movements seem normal- and no vomiting. Would it be overboard to take her to the pet ER right now? Even now, she is sitting in my lap as I type this (and normally she would be trying to swat my fingers) =(

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by azm

her bowel movements seem normal- and no vomiting. Would it be overboard to take her to the pet ER right now? Even now, she is sitting in my lap as I type this (and normally she would be trying to swat my fingers) =(
I would take her in right away!

azm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her in, she had a temperature of 104! They have her fluid injections and antibiotics. Im glad I took her in. Thanks everyone for the advice.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you! I am pleased that you took her to your vet before things got worse, and that you had good instincts about your baby. It's nice to know that even after only two weeks you had paid enough attention to know when things didn't feel right.

Hope she gets better soon!

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was sitting here holding my breath, didn't let it out till you posted that you'd taken her to the vet!! Wow, that's a relief. How is she now? Do they know what caused her illness? Hopefully, she is doing better now. I agree, ALWAYS trust your instincts!

azm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she IS feeling a lot better!! The vet said that she seems to have some kind of flu or infection, which she said was common but makes kittens prone to dehydration, so they injected some fluids under her skin and gave her an anti-biotic shot too. This morning she was "hunting" my hands under the covers and seems a lot more frisky. She has to take liquid antibiotics for 7 days, now.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by azm

she IS feeling a lot better!! The vet said that she seems to have some kind of flu or infection, which she said was common but makes kittens prone to dehydration, so they injected some fluids under her skin and gave her an anti-biotic shot too. This morning she was "hunting" my hands under the covers and seems a lot more frisky. She has to take liquid antibiotics for 7 days, now.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by azm

That's such a relief!! I just noticed this post now...I haven't been online for a few days. I'm so glad you were able to take her in and get her checked out. The only time my kitties have ever lost energy suddenly was when they got fixed...LOL...otherwise, now a 1.5yrs old, they're pretty much still the kittens they were when I brought them home!

So glad your cutie is ok now!!

maane1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yay shes better!! wow i was holding my breath too. phew!! hope she'll be much more better!!