In Africa, Have A 6 Week Old Kitten That Won't Eat

africakitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I'm an American currently living in West Africa, and I adopted a 6 week old kitten today. They told me the mother has stopped nursing it and to give it milk.

< This kitten is much younger than what I thought I was getting (the older kitten ran away apparently). So I was NOT prepared >

I have been frantically I researching what to feed her- a mothers milk alternative for kittens is not available this country to my knowledge. I know that cows milk in not an option. According to kittenrescue.org, the Cornell Book of Cats says that baby formula can be used, if made up double to normal strength for human babies. I am going to the store in the morning to get some. In the meantime, I have offered her fresh water and canned kitten food, which she did lick off my fingers but only ate a tiny bit.

This kitten is essntially feral, hissing and spitting at me so I have her bundled up in a blanket on top of a towel in the bathtub, with access to her water, kitten food, and letterbox and am not petting her, only handling her in the blanket as needed.

PLEASE help me on how to get this kitten to eat- do I need to syringe feed the baby formula or can I put it in a shallow bowl??

I am afraid and may need to bring the kitten back to the people who gave her to me tomorrow is she doesn't take the formula.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, can you get goats milk? Best raw, but canned or powdered is OK. Goats milk is entirely good.

Second, re cow milk. Its true, we dont recommend cow milk. But there are grades in hell, so to speak. Raw cow milk is less bad than pasteurized (prowiding necessary basic hygiene is there, of course.) Milk from cows ol old type is less dangerous than milk from modern, high producing cows. And thus, we know examples from India where rescuers did excellently on raw buffalo milk. If the cows out there are traditional old type cows, its fully possible their raw milk is OK. I cant give any garanties, but its a decently sound bet, I think.
If you can get goats milk, I will bet heavily on it.

Third, as you found, baby formula should be OK. And if doubled up is what works, so of course single as it is, is OK too in an emergency, although not enough with nourishment in longer run.
Why, one forumite told she being in a pinch and having a baby, gave of her breast milk to the kitten. :)

If she licks wet food, its good. Wet food is more calory dense than milk. Continue to try.

The kitten can probably try to eat meat and other animal rests, even raw. Do NOT use pork from pigs, but meat from other animals should be OK. Our mentioned India rescuer lived happily cooperating with the local butcher. What was barely sellable scraps for the butcher, was good cat food for the kitten.

In a pinch you can have a little honey and a shade of salt in this water you give. It makes a basic pedialyte, and with such a pedialyte you can held her alive.
Continue to give water or this pedialyte - being dehydrated is a major danger, taking off the forces out of her..

A dropper or a little needleless syringe is good for giving the fluids, if she doesnt licks herself. In a pinch you can use a drinking straw. In the corner of the mouth, slowly, so the fluid doesnt come into lungs. After a while when you and the kitten does get hang of it, it will go easier.

I presume its warm out there? Being too cold is the usual major danger, but being too hot is of course another danger.

Please continue to report and ask questions!

Good luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stefanz has given you excellent advice regarding food options. As far as age, are you able to weigh her or post a picture? It would help to get an idea of how old she is and therefore what her needs are. My feeling is you should not try bottle feeding and go instead to a soft food, since she is not comfortable with being handled yet, and she needs to eat everyday of course. It's possible she's not comfortable eating in your presence, so try offering food and backing away or even leaving the room for a few minutes. If she is six weeks old, she can still be easily socialized, and I would not give up on her. Spend time with her. Food and playtime are two great ways of getting a kitten to enjoy your company. At six weeks she should be very playful, and I've found the toys that are attached to a rope and then stick are great for playing with kittens from afar. Typically at that age she should come around quickly, and you can see progress each day even. If she's been around people, which it seems like she has, then it's more likely she's nervous in her new environment versus being truly feral.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

africakitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone, thank you all so much! I couldn' find the goats milk at the nearest grocery store, so I picked up infant formula and doubled up the formula to water ratio. I am feeding it to her with a bulb syringe since that's all I have for now. I can travel into town within the next few days to look for goats milk and a real syringe. I will continue offering the canned food on a flat plate for her to eat as she please and encourage her to do so by putting some on her nose.

She still has not gone to the potty, so I am going to try stimulating her since it' been 24 hours since I brought her home. I learned how on YouTube lol.

She has already warmed up to us!!! She even ours when I hold her now :) I'm thrilled that' she' accepted us as her new family, I was pretty worried when she was acting terrified of me.

Pic is down below :)

Attachments

africakitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stefanz- Yea! Videos of 6 week olds look a big bigger, move active/secure on their feet that her- I also think she is 5 weeks. Her hind legs and a tad weak and I've seen them shake..

She does look all scruntched up in that picture because she was actually scratching with one back foot, curling her body up lol.

Gem ate some canned food off my fingers which is great. I'm so relieved.

Last question is about using the litter box: I take her to it after meals and when she wakes up from a nap and sometimes randomly. I take her front legs and do a gentle digging motion. Is this right?

She has been pooping on the floor so far.

She is probably still nervous, missing her mom, and she's so young. I have considered taking her back to her mom but a family member said explained that the people won' give that cat a good life what so ever. No veterinary care, not correct food, not correct grooming/deworming/flea meds etc, not much love. Most people of this country do not provide the proper care for the animals they have. So I need to fulill the mother role as much as I can for this baby girl!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing the right thing by putting her in litter box, particularly after meals, as well as other times.

Is she peeing in the litter box?

As for pooping on the floor, when she does that, pick it up and put it in the litter box and then show her, and let her smell it, and then use her paw to cover it. Hopefully she'll get the hint. ;)

Is she still hissing and spitting at you, or has she calmed down?

africakitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're doing the right thing by putting her in litter box, particularly after meals, as well as other times.

Is she peeing in the litter box?

As for pooping on the floor, when she does that, pick it up and put it in the litter box and then show her, and let her smell it, and then use her paw to cover it. Hopefully she'll get the hint. ;)

Is she still hissing and spitting at you, or has she calmed down?
She peed in the litter box once, because I caught her peeing elsewhere and immediately brought her to the box. So she finished there.

Great advice! If she like outside the box again I'll definitely put it the box and let her check that out.

And no she's completely warmed up to us- she is sweet as sugar she rides around on me everywhere since she'll cry if left alone too long when awake, slept the whole night curled up against me, and plays by attacking my hand lol. She's perfect and reminds me of having a newborn baby so much, which I love!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is adorable! You are doing a great job :yess: I am impressed with your training skills - you instinctively knew how to teach her about the litter box. You could consider taking on her littermate, if one is available. Sometimes two are easier than one, as long as you can afford the upkeep.:thumbsup: