Im new to the cat world...

deas1594

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my hubby and I and our 10 yr old daughter went to a garage sale and came home with 2 kittens. The momma was around and she looked like your average small framed striped tabby cat, I'm not for certain but there was a biger Gray and white longhaired cat just lingering around as well almost acting like a protective papa cat. As my kitties are going on 6 months old they are starting to look very different from each other in those small but noticeable ways and I am as curious as a cat as to what possible breeding they might be...
this is my boy. He has always been bigger than his sis and still is. He seems to have more distinct and lighter coloring than his sis but stockier and not as fluffy long haired. He is laid back and a piggy with his food. Loves to nibble my fingers when we play.
this is his sis. Smaller and has more tan coloring with a fluffier fur. She is more vocal than her brother and always wants attention and has loved human food since day one.
here is a picture of them together exactly a month ago. My boy is of course the big piggy lol. any help or input would be helpful thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are mackerel tabbies, which is common.  They are surely domestic.  The fur lengh seems to be medium hair. (bushy tails, for example).  This means, although their fur seems to be rather short, but they DO carry the longhair gene.

The dad was longhair, the mom shorthair, so the mom must also been a carrier of the longhair gene.  There may also been more kittens, more shorthaired. (I gues son 2 more).

Tabby is dominant, so they got that mackerel /striped tabby from mom.  They do of course also carry dads gray and white gene, but its weaker recessive against tabby.

As said, they are domestic, but I think they do have a vaguely  Maine Coon looks about them... If it is pure coincidence, or if there is one Maine coon as their granddad we dont know.

The maine coon is a natural breed, the registered ones are purebred from a natural population of biggish, longhairish cats.  So the natural ancestors are still out there.  Its why we do have so many maine coons look alikes in the USA...

Two handsome young fellas!

@deas1594

ps.  May I ask, what did you payed for them?  Was it the common: kittens for free to a good home, or did they take a proper payment?

nibblerandco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I saw the muzzle on your boy the first thing I thought was "Maine Coon". Then I saw the ear tufts on his sister, which are also consistent with that breed. So I would say they are Maine Coon mixes. (Technically they are "just" domestics, but I would bet on some Maine Coon blood.)