I’m guessing Siberian?

406CatDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We live in the woods and this little guy survived bears and lions and found his way to our doorstep just before Halloween. We tried to find his owner with no luck, so he’s been part of our family now for 3 months. The vet said he was probably born around July 4th. He was 4 lbs at 2 months and now at 5 months, he’s a whopping 11 lbs. His name is Jack (Halloween reference to Jack-O-Lattern) He does possess all the traits I’ve read about Siberians. Meets us at the door, always has to sit on my keyboard, cookbook, or whatever else I’m trying to do. Not afraid of strangers at all and is a super cuddler. He is always wanting to play and chases everything from flies to mice. Oh and he LOVES to jump and seems to have longer back legs.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: He's very handsome and good size for 5 months but you can't go my temperament alone regarding the breed. My guess is he's a medium to longhair domestic orange/ginger tabby. I'm sure some of the other expert members will give their opinion too. Thank you for bringing him inside and giving him his forever home. :heartshape:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't see features that are specifically Siberian. His head/ears do not match the standard, and in fact look closer to a Maine Coon muzzle and ears. The Siberians have a very dense triple coat that stands out from the body and makes them look very round.

Without a known ancestry, your cat is considered a Domestic Longhair, which is just as special as any named pedigree.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The heavy money bet is he is a domestic longhair. but if you wish to compare him to some natural established breed so perhaps the Norwegian Forest cat. Whom are big, usually almost as big as MCO, and have a triangularish head and muzzle - as he has.
Also, the Norwegians tend to be two colored.... With a random mix its surely no proof at all, but a nice pointer for a look alike. :)

But I agree with you, his behavior could hint a Siberian, they are sometimes described in behavior as dog alike.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

406CatDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You everyone! That makes the both of us agree on what he is. Cheers.