I’m feeding a stray and I’m overwhelmed

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If you are where there is an online site called Nextdoor .com you might find one in the For Sale section, or craigslist, letgo and other sites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valeria97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I’m writing this here because I feel like you people will understand where I’m coming from.
For the past few weeks I’ve been feeding a stray kitten (about 5-6 months I believe) that was very scared and sort of feral. I even manage to trap it and bring it inside but it broke my windows net and escaped. Still, it came back and I’ve continue to feed it everyday and now I can pet it and all that.

I have three cats. Two of them have warmed up to her because my front gate allows them to smell and see each other without the risk of a fight. However, I have one cat that we are pretty sure has some neurological issues due to abuse and is extremely hard to handle around new cats. A few years ago he saw a kitten inside my home and started attacking the other cats and we had to give him meds to calm him down.

now, I’ve tried to get him to get use to this kitten by allowing a few minutes of sighting and smelling everyday and although he is showing some progress, the kitten is very scaredy and gets upset quite quickly if it feels slightly trapped.

I don’t know that else to do without compromising my mental health and my other cats lives.Stress is already taking a toll on me (I don’t want to play victim but I wannabe honest). I got a bit attached to the kitten and thinking that something might happen while she’s out there breaks my heart.

my mom is hopeful that we can make her join the household cats but until then (a friend is also willing to take it to a foster home if we can trap her but that’s a challenge) my heart is broken and I don’t know how long I can keep up getting attached and then leaving her outside.

I apologize for the long post, I needed a place to vent this and don’t feel like a total piece of crap.

Hope everyone is having a nice day!
I'm not sure if anyone will read this, but I managed to adopt her! I'm still working on her issues with a cat carrier so I can take her to the vet to spay her but she's safe and warm and eating well! She's a completely indoor cat and my own cats are neutered so there is no risk of pregnancy but I still want to spay her asap.

Thank you all for your awesome messages!

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congratulations on getting her indoors and adopting her! It can be a struggle to get them used to indoors only plus every cat is different in how well they integrate.

I've got one TNR'd cat that is impossible to get into a carrier and he's been with me indoors for 1 year. I had to resort to using Gabapentin a couple days before his visit, approx. 50mg twice a day and then 100mg the night before, 50mg the morning of and 100mg 3 hours before his visit. He was easy to get in the carrier, did well at the vet and was happy to be back home. I hope I don't jinx myself as he has to go back for a follow up on June 7.